Visitor to my coop

BlueShadow

Songster
8 Years
Jun 13, 2015
Nebraska
Had a visitor to my coop today. I was going into the coop and almost stepped on him.

IMG_1782.JPG

I decided to relocate him about a mile away. With chicks and toddlers around, there was more risk than benefit to letting him stay.

It was a fox snake. They are not poisonous. He was very cooperative about being relocated. I got an old feed sack, rolled the top down so it stayed open, put it in front of him, and he went on in. I didn't even have to poke him with a stick or anything to encourage him. After I picked up the sack, he got very angry and started buzzing his tail. I held that buzzing bag all the way over to the other property where I released him.

You are a braver kinder soul than me, my husband would be whacking its head off while I scream hysterically across the yard. I have an extreme fear of even the tiny ones.

I can understand fear of snakes, although I do not share it. They do always startle me though, because they lay so still. And reptiles have completely different behaviors than mammals and people - very still, slow (until they aren't), and unblinking.

The main reason I didn't even consider killing him however, is that fox snakes are useful. Their diet is mostly rodents. I like that! I didn't like where he had chosen to live right now though, so I moved him.

I can understand fear of snakes, although I do not share it. They do always startle me though, because they lay so still. And reptiles have completely different behaviors than mammals and people - very still, slow (until they aren't), and unblinking.

The main reason I didn't even consider killing him however, is that fox snakes are useful. Their diet is mostly rodents. I like that! I didn't like where he had chosen to live right now though, so I moved him.
I enjoy the non-poisonous ones too. :D

Back
Top Bottom