Viva Las Vegas!

I am in the process of making a community page for this thread where we can post things for easy reference such as those who post here and the area they live in, local breeders and hobbiests, feed store locations/phone numbers etc....kind of like a resource page. Right now I'm working on the feed store info...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/viva-las-vegas-community-page

Well, what do you think? Did I miss any stores? What should we put in the empty column? Comments, current prices for feed, best buys there, chick availability....IDEAS anyone?

If you're a breeder, sell eggs, have ongoing chicken/garden/whatever projects that we may be interested in...I would like to put it on this page...but not if you object. Please let me know what you'd like to see. This is our community. What feed works for you, where do you get it, how much is it, what do you like best about it? Have you had problems with a feedstore? Which is your favorite and why? Should we have a notice board for upcoming events, birds for sale or want? Should we have linked pages for medicines, coops, waterers/feeders, gardening practices, etc that works for us in Las Vegas?

After I get some feedback...I'm gonna have the mods put this link on the first post.

THIS IS A WORK IN PROCESS. PLEASE HELP OUR COMMUNITY GROW!!!

Last edited:
So this morning I let the chickens out to play and then the heavy rain came. They were stuck under the bushes and getting soaked it was raining so hard, so I got soaked by grabbing 1 at a time cover them up with a towel and bring them inside finished drying them off I had to do this 4 times, the worst part is like said they were huddled under the bushes getting soaked so I have to get on my hands and knees and grab one at a time then stand up go under the porch grab towel put it over them walk them back down to my room get a dry towel dry them off put them in there corner and did it over again they were freaking out and I was worried about them but trust me as these birds get older they don’t learn they will suffer the consequences I will not do this again (who am i kidding yes i will)

So this morning I let the chickens out to play and then the heavy rain came. They were stuck under the bushes and getting soaked it was raining so hard, so I got soaked by grabbing 1 at a time cover them up with a towel and bring them inside finished drying them off I had to do this 4 times, the worst part is like said they were huddled under the bushes getting soaked so I have to get on my hands and knees and grab one at a time then stand up go under the porch grab towel put it over them walk them back down to my room get a dry towel dry them off put them in there corner and did it over again they were freaking out and I was worried about them but trust me as these birds get older they don’t learn they will suffer the consequences I will not do this again (who am i kidding yes i will)
Wow! Someone is spoiled...it's not you! Actually, I do crazy things for my girls too. I TOTALLY understand! Rain makes us crazy here...we see it so seldom we hardly know how to act when we do. Probably the same for chickens. Good thing they can't drive.
wink.png

I caught the that huge storm driving through the gorge from St. George to Las Vegas. Not a good place to be for a storm believe me! It was kinda nice to come back on a day that wasn't butt ugly hot! Made it easier to deal with being back. I left my spoiled chickens in UT until it cools down a bit more...like in OCT. I'm bummed. I miss them. I have visitation rights. I will see them next weekend, but am sure missing them in the meantime.

sad.png

I really got slammed by wednesday's storm. The brand new storm drain beside my yard plugged up quickly.

The mess the surge created extends from the backyard, into the orchard/garden, through the chicken run, and finally out the driveway.

Whoever coined the phrase "mad as a wet hen" sure didn't know what they were talking about! My poor girls were absolutely miserable and dejected. My son and his fiance were out in rushing water 3' deep grabbing the girls as they floated by and placing them on roosts. The 2 barney's are MIA and at this point assumed lost.

I really got slammed by wednesday's storm. The brand new storm drain beside my yard plugged up quickly.

The mess the surge created extends from the backyard, into the orchard/garden, through the chicken run, and finally out the driveway.

Whoever coined the phrase "mad as a wet hen" sure didn't know what they were talking about! My poor girls were absolutely miserable and dejected. My son and his fiance were out in rushing water 3' deep grabbing the girls as they floated by and placing them on roosts. The 2 barney's are MIA and at this point assumed lost.
Oh Max! I am so sorry to hear of your troubles! Your son and his fiance are awesomely brave! I'm so glad they were able to rescue most of your birds and so sorry to hear about the Barneys. Is there anything I can do to help? How are you coming along on the clean up? How's your garden/orchard? You have a house there too, how is that fairing? Any flooding in there? I truly am willing to come help clean up. You know I live nearby-ish. My brother will help out too. PM me if you need anything!!! ... besides new Barneys cause although I'm willing I just don't have the connections.

Your garden looks like it was really growing awesomely too.

hit.gif

... for the Barneys, the garden/orchard, and the mess!

ETA: those photos....are AMAZING!!! It's true that a picture is worth a 1,000 words!

Last edited:
Wowzer. That water carnage is incredible. So sorry you had to suffer through that terror and the cleanup. 3' of water? Eek! We only had about 3" of standing water in the backyard and we got the blast in Henderson of 1.5" in an hour. But we're on a slope, so our water was more or less the downhill folks' problem. We got a lightning strike to the light pole outside of our back fence.... That was scary enough!

Muckmuck where did you get your nest boxes? I like thos LOL Iam coming to Vegas in Feb and will have to pay you a visit and take them with me LOL!

But we're on a slope, so our water was more or less the downhill folks' problem.
I'm on a slope also! Charleston & Fogg, the county allowed the area above us to be developed into subdivisions during the 90's and never installed proper storm drains below all of that pavement, curb, and gutter to protect the horse properties below.

Max

Muckmuck where did you get your nest boxes? I like thos LOL Iam coming to Vegas in Feb and will have to pay you a visit and take them with me LOL!
Hey Yoda! That's purty cruel, threatening to take one of the few things the flood didn't wash away! lol I bought them from a feed store that I think is a regional chain, IFA Intermountain Farmers Association. But you can get them online at: http://fowlstuff.com

Max

Man that sucks so sorry for your loss hopefully your lost chickens will find there way hope glad your family was able to save the rest.

Back
Top Bottom