Viva Las Vegas!

Saturday the 30th is the CLUCK (chicken keepers in urban Las Vegas) annual tour and "fair" held at 5910 Sheila Ave, just west of Jones north of Smoke Ranch. Come talk to those of us who have chickens, breed chickens, have eggs and chicks for sale, and otherwise learn all about chicken keeping in Las Vegas. "Party" is 10 to 2, there will be speakers, demos, a chicken beauty contest, stuff for sale - it is THEE chicken event to attend. Hope to see you there.
wee.gif

Oh, ok! We just started our little flock. We have two three to four week olds, a gold sex link and a black sex link. We also have two one week olds, easter eggers. I can't believe how much fun they are! I will be at the fair tomorrow for sure! I just couldn't find

Howdy folks!

Been a little while, figured I should post an update.

Picked up 2 reds at V&V 2 weeks ago:

Lady Miss Kiev on the left and Ida May Dumplin' on the right (I think)

Then last week we were at Cal Ranch looking for some poultry watering nipples ( If anyone has 3 or four for sale locally let me know) and they had a few bantams left so I introduce to you...Nugget!

Reminds me of a pom-pom chick decoration you would find at Cost Plus.

Our freeloader of a bantam has been doing well, though I don't think she's too fond of the chicks.

She has finally been named, so say hello to Fricassee. Weird girl crows every morning, luckily its not too loud (and yes shes a girl - we get 3-4 little eggs a week)!

she dose not need them till after spring break so that would be great!

I have all 3 stages right now if you need them. PM me if you still need a set.

Saturday the 30th is the CLUCK (chicken keepers in urban Las Vegas) annual tour and "fair" held at 5910 Sheila Ave, just west of Jones north of Smoke Ranch. Come talk to those of us who have chickens, breed chickens, have eggs and chicks for sale, and otherwise learn all about chicken keeping in Las Vegas. "Party" is 10 to 2, there will be speakers, demos, a chicken beauty contest, stuff for sale - it is THEE chicken event to attend. Hope to see you there.
wee.gif

Crud.... completely forgot about this, I really wanted to go....

A little off topic, but I have been starting my veggie seeds and as always I have too many of each. I suspect that I am not alone in this. Does anyone out there want to set up a seedling trade, or know of an existing group?

Hope everyone had a happy Easter!

Then last week we were at Cal Ranch looking for some poultry watering nipples ( If anyone has 3 or four for sale locally let me know) and they had a few bantams left so I introduce to you...Nugget!

I almost got one the other day! It was SO hard to,walk away. Very cute!!

frow.gif
How is everyone doing today? I've got turkey eggs in the 'bator and everyone is laying pretty good now. Freeloaders know that processing time is coming soon.
hmm.png

Is anybody coming out to the Clark County Fair & Rodeo this week?

frow.gif
How is everyone doing today? I've got turkey eggs in the 'bator and everyone is laying pretty good now. Freeloaders know that processing time is coming soon.
hmm.png

Is anybody coming out to the Clark County Fair & Rodeo this week?

ke_ben! Thanks for the reminder. I forgot all about the fair. I need to get some fertile eggs from you soon. I have a very determined broody. Call me and let me know what you've got available. I need some blue eggs and chocolate eggs...and it sounds like I'll be headed over there this weekend. Are you breeding your NN Olive egger? Do you know anyone with Welsummers?

Sorry I haven't gotten photos of the feeders and my run renovation up. I spent most of spring break (plus a week) sick and in the hospital in Cedar City. I had to get my gall bladder out. UGH!!! Not fun at all!

At long last here are some of the promised photos.

This is the trigger/toggle device. The wide flat plastic piece on top acts as a type of baffle. When the hen pecks and hits the bottom rounded end it makes the trigger move to one side releasing some pellets. The hen eats those pellets and pecks at the trigger again. It moves to the other side releasing a few more pellets. I think it helps keep them entertained as well as feeding them. As you can see, Sharpie markers are no match for chickens.The bottom part was red for about 2 seconds. At least I know they're pecking at it. So you get a bucket and drill a hole in the bottom for the toggle to fit through. We were worried that there would be excess feed sitting along the edges that the chickens couldn't access. We wanted to create a type of funnel effect so the more feed would flow.

So we cut the top off of a water bottle and then cut off the nozzle part too. We then duct taped the piece in place. I saw another site that showed how a man had used one of those dog cones (the ones to keep them from licking or biting themselves) and he'd duct taped the holes and taped it in place too. Good idea but those things are like $15 new and we had a few water bottles laying around so ... we repurpose and recycle where we can. So, then you put the feed in and top it with a lid. There seems to be some concern about water getting in when it rains. I'd better check on mine and see how they fared in our recent inclimate weather. If the lids are on tight they should be fine. It seems to work reasonably well. I think I'd rather have mine be a bit more sturdy (not hanging) so I may play around with ways to affix the bucket to a wall. I have three buckets in use right now so that everyone gets a chance at the goods.

Then, because I don't like the idea of the food falling in poo...and you know how that goes. I made this little basin for the food to fall into. It's high enough and close enough to the trigger/toggle that they don't try to perch on it so if they stay out...so does the poop. I just used an old plant container with chunks of cement and rocks in there to make it heavy and sturdy. Then the saucer part of the planter fit pretty securely on top. I trained the girls to use them by putting BOSS in one first. They had it empty within a day! They're very smart when it comes to food!

Anyways, I'll try to get some photos of the feeders in action real soon. I like how they can't bill food all over the ground and actually any food that falls is fair game. I never see pellets just sitting there uneaten. Mice and wild birds aren't eating up all the feed either. I really am happy with this purchase.

muckmuck don't you have some of these triggers too? I'd really like to see what your set up looks like. (hint, hint) Also I need some fertile GCM eggs.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom