Maryam.

Songster
Dec 22, 2017
Hey everybody,
I have a 1/5 y.o rouen duck who is a layer, Currently on antibiotics and also has bumblefoot.
She was asleep like 2mins ago, then suddenly she woke up and start vomiting!! 2months ago this happened, i took her to a vet.The vet diagnosed her with respiratory infection without any test. She was on antibiotics for 7days and she was fine after that.
A week ago she was not fine and had some symptoms i took her to the same vet , he said it's respiratory infection again, so she's been on antibiotics again and today was the last day of it.
Then she started throwing up!!
Please help me!

Last edited:
It's possible that the doxycycline is making her vomit, and it's possible that her respiratory infection is resistant to doxycycline. Can you call the vet and ask about switching to a different antibiotic? If I were going to treat one for a respiratory infection I would try Baytril (enrofloxacin).

Has she been eating ? Antibiotics can cause stomach upset it’s usually advised to also give a probiotic after using antibiotics. Does the respiratory illness seem to be gone? @casportpony knows more about antibiotics than most of us.
Yes she eats alot! But then she throws up! and it keeps happening since afternoon. I am so desperate,i don't know what should i do.
I didn't know about probiotic and unfortunately i don't have any probiotic supplements now.
I can still hear the hissing sound of her breath.

It's possible that the doxycycline is making her vomit, and it's possible that her respiratory infection is resistant to doxycycline. Can you call the vet and ask about switching to a different antibiotic? If I were going to treat one for a respiratory infection I would try Baytril (enrofloxacin).
I tried reaching him but i've been told that he's on vacation. And daisy(my duck) keeps throwing up.
I brought her inside temporarily so i can closely observe her.
The vet told me to give her doxycycline for 7days and today was the last day, do you think i should continue her medication?
Should i change her diet for now?
I don't know how to stop her from throwing up.

I'm sorry this is happening :hugs

I agree with Kathy, she may have a respiratory infection that's resistant to doxycycline, and the doxy might be what's causing her to throw up. I would switch her to Baytril. Since you can't get ahold of the vet, I would just order it yourself. Are you in the US? If so, you can order it here:

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

Also, what are her symptoms that the vet thought was a respiratory infection? Ducks don't get those as often as chickens. They definitely can get them, but they're more limited in what they can catch. They can also get aspergillosis, and that one is caused by a fungus, so an antibiotic would do absolutely nothing for it.

Additionally, what did the vet have you do for the bumblefoot?

Last edited:
I'm sorry this is happening :hugs

I agree with Kathy, she may have a respiratory infection that's resistant to doxycycline, and the doxy might be what's causing her to throw up. I would switch her to Baytril. Since you can't get ahold of the vet, I would just order it yourself. Are you in the US? If so, you can order it here:

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

Also, what are her symptoms that the vet thought was a respiratory infection? Ducks don't get those as often as chickens. They definitely can get them, but they're more limited in what they can catch. Mycoplasma gallisepticum is really the only big bacterial respiratory disease that affects them. They can also get aspergillosis, and that one is caused by a fungus, so an antibiotic would do absolutely nothing for it.

Additionally, what did the vet have you do for the bumblefoot?
I'm not from US but do you think i can switch her antibiotic by myself, without a vet prescription ?
Doesn't more antibiotics make her weaker? I'm so worried about her being sick so long..
These are the symptoms that the vet asked me about and they were all positive :Hissing sound of breath, diarrhea, being less active than before, and the first time she was diagnosed she was throwing up all day which was 2months ago.
After using antibiotics she was fine and the vomiting stopped. Then a week ago the symptoms repeated (minus throwing up part) i took her to the same vet , he said it's respiratory infection again and prescribed doxycycline for 7days again+ a multivitamin(containing vitD3 and vitA) On day 7th which was yesterday she started throwing up again.
I separated daisy from my other duck(cookie) for the night but today cookie is not as active as always and her eyes seem watery and she sneezes. I'm afraid she might've caught the infection
For the bumble foot i wash her feet with apple cider vinegar daily +topical tetracycline ointment before she sleeps at nights.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom