Waddle and diarrhea - favourite hen!

Woobsie

Songster
6 Years
Jun 8, 2013
London, Ontario, Canada

WoobsieChillin' With My Peeps
My very favourite hen is very ill and I wanted to ask you the right course of action. (I am in Canada fyi so not all drugs are as readily available).
She is walking very waddled and ysing her wings to keep her somewhat upright. Also has a poopy bottom, diarrhea but no yeast smell. No respiratory distress at all. I brought her inside and is on the heating pad. Gave her a crushed tums. I also decided to go ahead and give her 0.5 cc of Valbazen as a dewormer (standard sized hen around 6 lbs maybe). As well as a dose of neochlor which here in Canada is a powder that has 2 antibiotics in it and often will give that to my sick birds who I am not sure what is wrong. I felt for an egg but nothing in the immediate cavern inside I could feel. She also is free from waterbelly.
I have never actually used Safeguard on my hens but am getting some today because I was told it kills what Valbazen doesn't. I also found a round of doxycycline for a previous chicken I got from a vet but with today being the weekend right before Xmas I can't get her to a vet (not that any have been particularly helpful). Should I wait to dose with Safeguard incase it is worms? And would you think doxycycline or neochlor would be better to use in this case? Also checked for mites and lice but they were treated for lice not that long ago. This girl I noticed started to get kind of ill maybe a few days ago and today really seems like she just wants to lie upright. She is getting warmed up and sleeping nicely. She shows interest in water and a bit of food but mostly wants to sleep. Please help!! Thank you

walking very waddled and ysing her wings to keep her somewhat upright....poopy bottom, diarrhea but no yeast smell....I have never actually used Safeguard on my hens but am getting some today because I was told it kills what Valbazen doesn't....Should I wait to dose with Safeguard incase it is worms? And would you think doxycycline or neochlor would be better to use in this case?...started to get kind of ill maybe a few days ago and today really seems like she just wants to lie upright.

I'm sorry she is not feeling well.
How old is she?
When was the last time she laid an egg?

Waddle walking, to me, would indicate a reproductive or internal laying problem. You don't notice any water feeling in the belly - but does it feel bloated or swollen (firm or distended)?
Photos of the poop and her may be helpful.

Valbazen is a good de-wormer, just repeat your dosage in 10days. I would not give the Safeguard in addition to the Valbazen.

As for the antibiotics hopefully someone like @Eggcessive will chime in, but if you started with the Neo-Clor (Neomycin/Tetracycline) that may be better than the Doxy - but you will want to research both to determine what you feel is best. Consulting a vet is always recommended.

Some other things to do would be to check to make sure the crop is emptying overnight and keep her hydrated. Once you finish all your medications, offer poultry vitamins and probiotics.

Sounds like she's egg bound. Crushed up tums can provide some quickly absorbing calcium to help encourage the muscles to contract and get the egg out. Minimize her stress by keeping her in a quiet and darkened spot.

I brought her inside and is on the heating pad. Gave her a crushed tums.

I felt for an egg but nothing in the immediate cavern inside I could feel. She also is free from waterbelly.

Sounds like she's egg bound. Crushed up tums can provide some quickly absorbing calcium to help encourage the muscles to contract and get the egg out. Minimize her stress by keeping her in a quiet and darkened spot.

woosie says she give it tum alredy an not feel egg!

The calcium takes time to work. The upright waddling is textbook egg binding. And it's probably a shell-less egg, which would explain why no egg could be felt and why she's having such a difficult time passing it.

She is around 4 years old. She was laying eggs this summer fine. But I am not sure the actual day as i have 70 birds that share living quarters. 8 noticed she was starting to get s dishevelled look to her 2 months ago do I have been watching her. Then I noticed she had a poopy bottom but no yeast smell and started pooping watery droppings. She is eating fine and drinking more than usual probably to make up for the excess watery poops. No water belly at all, I am very familiar with that.
The poop now is very watery I will try to get a pic.
I'm sorry she is not feeling well.
How old is she?
When was the last time she laid an egg?

Waddle walking, to me, would indicate a reproductive or internal laying problem. You don't notice any water feeling in the belly - but does it feel bloated or swollen (firm or distended)?
Photos of the poop and her may be helpful.

Valbazen is a good de-wormer, just repeat your dosage in 10days. I would not give the Safeguard in addition to the Valbazen.

As for the antibiotics hopefully someone like @Eggcessive will chime in, but if you started with the Neo-Clor (Neomycin/Tetracycline) that may be better than the Doxy - but you will want to research both to determine what you feel is best. Consulting a vet is always recommended.

Some other things to do would be to check to make sure the crop is emptying overnight and keep her hydrated. Once you finish all your medications, offer poultry vitamins and probiotics.

How long? I gave it to her around 20 hours ago and nothing yet. She is warm and confirtable and slept well and woke last night to eat a lot.
The calcium takes time to work. The upright waddling is textbook egg binding. And it's probably a shell-less egg, which would explain why no egg could be felt and why she's having such a difficult time passing it.

She is around 4 years old. She was laying eggs this summer fine....starting to get s dishevelled look to her 2 months ago....eating fine and drinking more than usual probably to make up for the excess watery poops. No water belly at all, I am very familiar with that.

Is she molting? Do you have any photos of her?

It's very hard to know with chickens. Sometimes it's a process of elimination. If she is molting, that can make them feel very bad. With older hens, sometimes reproductive disorders can be common as well.

If you have a way to get a fecal float, that would be good. You have treated with the Valbazen, so that should take care of most worms as long as you follow up in the 10days.

20171224_104834.jpg
20171224_104816.jpg

Attachments

• 20171224_104745.jpg
    20171224_104745.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 2
She was moulting the last month so I took her off behaviour as just moulting but then her walk became more penguin like and yesterday she was having trouble walking. Here in these pics she is still eating her layer pellets and her poopy towel that is wet from passing a lot of watery poops

Back
Top Bottom