Waiting for chicks to arrive

tweetzone86

Songster
Jul 23, 2018
Kootenai County, ID
They're currently listed as "in transit" from Meyer Hatchery in Polk, OH to Kootenai County, ID. The tracking said that they're scheduled to arrive on Thursday by 8 pm, but they hatched yesterday.

Isn't that pushing the 72 hour window awfully close? Any tips on what to do to ensure their survival in case they're really weak by arrival?

Also, does anyone else get really anxious, excited, giddy and impatient when they see their chicks are in transit? It's like the agony of waiting until Christmas morning! :wee:caf:jumpy:barnie

It is pushing it but don't worry till there is something to worry about.
Have the brooder, feed and water ready. I like to put Gro2Max probiotic powder and Nutri-Drench in their first water. What is your brooder heat source?
I would be ready to pick up the chicks when they arrive at the PO which will likely be by 6 or 7 AM. Call or visit your postmaster to find out when the priority mail arrives. Get the phone number of the sorting room so you can call early each morning to see if they have arrived. The number in the phone book won't be answered till they open, which will be too late.

It is pushing it but don't worry till there is something to worry about.
Have the brooder, feed and water ready. I like to put Gro2Max probiotic powder and Nutri-Drench in their first water. What is your brooder heat source?
I would be ready to pick up the chicks when they arrive at the PO which will likely be by 6 or 7 AM. Call or visit your postmaster to find out when the priority mail arrives. Get the phone number of the sorting room so you can call early each morning to see if they have arrived. The number in the phone book won't be answered till they open, which will be too late.

I think the hatchery is sending gro-gel with them too- is that what you're talking about?

Heat lamp, hard plastic stock tank brooder with sand covered in paper towels on the bottom.

I've seen other folks suggest contacting your local Post Office ahead of expected delivery to ensure they are aware you are expecting chicks and make sure they have correct phone numbers. Also, in another post with a similar story the person was tracking the shipment which was dropped at a post 1 hour from their home the day before it was expected to arrive at the local Post Office. They made the 1 hour drive to pick up their chicks and save them from an extra night in a box.
Update: Also, I was a mixture of excited and terrified when mine were on their way! The USPS tracking system wasn't working right during my shipment, so it looked like they were stuck somewhere hours and states away on the day they were supposed to arrive. I was dreading receiving a late box full of dead chicks. I almost bawled like a baby when they called to tell me they were actually already here!

The USPS must sometimes use 3rd party vendors/shippers to ship animals. They don't have the ability to scan packages and get it into the USPS system so that is why tracking doesn't always update.

They will probably be fine, but if they are weak or (forbid) injured, you might want to have a vet a call away. But as ChickenCanoe said, don't worry until there is something to be worried about. Normally a little water, heat, food, and sleep will perk them right up. However, in like 24 hours if you don't see an improvement, take a fourth of a children's chewable aspirin and mix it in with some water and use a syringe to feed it to the chick. Be careful though, because too much can harm them.

Back
Top Bottom