Waiting for the $1000 eggs 🥴

...and likely before we get to 14 hours of daylight.
Whether the daylight is increasing or decreasing can be more important than the total day length.

@Tumbleweedlynn this might help explain the pelvic bones spread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
Comparing bones and vent appearance on all your pullets can be a really good learning exercise.
That was awesome, what a great, clear presentation of what to look for! I’ve noticed their combs to fade a tad from time to time - I thought I was losing my mind. I will do the pubic bone measuring tomorrow, I’m going to check a couple of my cemanis, as well! Thanks for all of this, this site is a dream 💭

Nice, so it’s right around the corner for me. How many are you waiting on - are they all the same age? Excuse my ignorance on this, but whats the significance with getting eggs before the solstice? Thanks!
I have 7 more that haven’t started yet! My group is a variety of breeds, some will tend to start earlier than others. Saw the solstice question was answered. If you are super anxious you could try supplementa lighting to get them started, but it probably won’t be too much longer for at least one of them!

Whether the daylight is increasing or decreasing can be more important than the total day length.

@Tumbleweedlynn this might help explain the pelvic bones spread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
Comparing bones and vent appearance on all your pullets can be a really good learning exercise.
Agree about the increasing light having more effect on laying than total hours, though I’m sure there’s some scientific study somewhere that resulted in that magical ‘14 hours’ number.

Last year, my four hens that are two or more years old started laying on 12/30, 1/3, 2/10 and 2/11. This was well before I was getting 14 hours of daylight.

I have 7 more that haven’t started yet! My group is a variety of breeds, some will tend to start earlier than others. Saw the solstice question was answered. If you are super anxious you could try supplementa lighting to get them started, but it probably won’t be too much longer for at least one of them!
Wow, it is fun wondering each day what might happen. I am anxious, but I will let nature take its course. I’m sure I will scream it from the rooftops !

Wow, it is fun wondering each day what might happen. I am anxious, but I will let nature take its course. I’m sure I will scream it from the rooftops !
Everyone here knows the feeling, you’re in good company! I knew I was close to getting my first egg and I kept on going to check in the nesting boxes every time I saw the pullet go in the coop. I probably scarred the poor thing for life, because she’ll always get up and leave if she’s in the nesting boxes and I come into the coop. :gig

Everyone here knows the feeling, you’re in good company! I knew I was close to getting my first egg and I kept on going to check in the nesting boxes every time I saw the pullet go in the coop. I probably scarred the poor thing for life, because she’ll always get up and leave if she’s in the nesting boxes and I come into the coop. :gig
Did you happen to witness the first one? I’ve got a chair in the coop I just go and sit on to just watch them. They’re so content and happy, I’m loving this gig :woot

Exactly. The longest day of the year here (summer solstice) is only 13 hours, 25 minutes. Our hens usually start laying more within weeks of the winter solstice (10 hr, 54 min). August is the slowest month.

Back
Top Bottom