Waiting....waiting....any day now....

Friend2Fowl

Songster
9 Years
Feb 28, 2010
Haha, I'm getting so antsy! I have 3 goose eggs in the incubator that are 'due' (day 30) tomorrow and Friday. So far there are no pips, but the babies are still moving around in their eggs. These are the last goose eggs I'm doing this year, and I have had such terrible luck so far
sad.png
Out of 32 total eggs, I've got these 3, had 1 pip and die, and had another hatch and die. Hopefully all 3 of these will hatch and live
fl.gif
They are 1 american blue from vicki 2x2 and 2 africans I got off ebay.

Oops, day 30 is Friday on the blue and Saturday on the africans, I was almost right
th.gif

Last edited:
I doubt they'll hatch early, they weren't even pipped into the air cell last night when I checked them. But they are moving, which is a plus
smile.png

I'm beginning to think maybe they can't break through their membranes? They've been pushing on them for the past few days, and they should be internally pipped by now. I put a damp washcloth in the bator on top of the eggs, the humidity gauges both read 80%+, but I didn't think to calibrate my hygrometers before I started hatching this year. I'm debating on whether I should open the end of the egg and cut through the membranes? I really don't want to lose anymore goslings, I've had such bad luck with them this year!
hit.gif

Quote:
I started wrapping my goose eggs in a paper towel (open at air cell) and it seems to hold the humidity. If they seem like they are late or having problems you could crack open the air cell end, then before cutting the membrane, wet your finger and feel around for the hard beak. Then cut the membrane where the beak is, spray down any blood and gently wiggle the beak out far enough so you know the nostrils won't get stuck later. See if it hatches the rest of the way from there. I am doing this with one right now. There was a little bit of blood but its now the next day and the gosling is chirping and so far, got its head to come all the way out. I try not to assist hatch but really, geese do a better job and they have a strike against them just being in an incubator so in my rational it evens out their chances of survival... Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

Quote:
I started wrapping my goose eggs in a paper towel (open at air cell) and it seems to hold the humidity. If they seem like they are late or having problems you could crack open the air cell end, then before cutting the membrane, wet your finger and feel around for the hard beak. Then cut the membrane where the beak is, spray down any blood and gently wiggle the beak out far enough so you know the nostrils won't get stuck later. See if it hatches the rest of the way from there. I am doing this with one right now. There was a little bit of blood but its now the next day and the gosling is chirping and so far, got its head to come all the way out. I try not to assist hatch but really, geese do a better job and they have a strike against them just being in an incubator so in my rational it evens out their chances of survival... Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

I think this is what I will do...I'll let you know how it works out.
fl.gif

Ah, okay, so maybe I won't
big_smile.png

I just checked one to see if it had made any progress, and both the african eggs (due Saturday) have pipped internally
clap.gif
The american blue (due tomorrow) is still pushing, so I'll check again later (when I turn the duck eggs in that bator) and see if it's made any progress. Fingers crossed!
fl.gif

Quote:
Yeah! thats great... don't help if you don't have to but I had a couple that had their heads the wrong way in the shell and died
sad.png
so I decided that I would start to help the late ones. Better to give them a chance.

Back
Top Bottom