waiting, waiting...

Cheerful

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 5, 2012
We are waiting for our first eggs...and waiting, and waiting. I have a Barred Rock, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Black Australorp and two Buff Orpingtons. We have a BR rooster. They are all around 21 weeks. Just started putting a light in the coop for them about a week ago as the days were getting shorter. They are free ranging, but we keep them in 'til lunch time and I'm pretty sure there is no laying going on. Anything else I can do to encourage laying? Does a pretend egg in the nest-boxes help? If so, what can I use? (is it just the shape they care about?)
Trying hard to be patient! Also, any signs I can look for that they might start soon? Thanks!

Our barred rocks started laying right around 20 weeks. We have 2 of them and I believe one started laying at 20 and one was 22 weeks. We have golf balls in the nesting box to encourage them to lay. Our ISA browns started laying around 16 weeks and they have layed an egg every single day since! The barred rocks lay about every other day.

a pretend egg can help....chickens learn by example a lot. u could use a golf ball(thats what i used untill the day they all laid)
Have u seen any of the hens squat?....either to u or ur roo? that a good sign they are about to lay soon

We are still waiting for our first egg too. We have five that should start soon. (2 reds, a black, barred rock, and blue orp) The hens have jumped into the nest boxes so hopefully they are close. Their combs and wattles are growing and starting to darken but we don't really know how old they are. (That photo is a few weeks ago) I've given them high protein treats, added light, and put some oyster shell in a feeder if they want it. Thinking about trying ACV and cayenne or any other wives tale trick soon. Good luck! Fingers crossed we both get eggs soon)

Last edited:
Using fake eggs works, I use a golf ball in each layer box until they are laying well. As far as when will they lay, no set time. My Ausies didnt start untill around 23 weeks, Wyandotte was about the same maybe later. If the Roo is mounting them, eggs are soon.

thanks all. You just get impatient sometimes, right?? The rooster isn't doing anything, and I don't think I've seen any of the hens squat (I'm guessing I would that when I see it!) so...that's too bad. But I have noticed the combs growing and darkening so hopefully soon!

Back
Top Bottom