That’s a bummer bc I wanted an Ameraucana. I’ll search another feed store. I appreciate your help.
No problem, but I have to warn you that just about every feed store that says they have Ameraucanas actually have Easter eggers. If they say they have a specific color variety, usually black or blue, then you have a better shot at getting a real Ameraucana. But Easter eggers are great, too. I like them better, personally.

No problem, but I have to warn you that just about every feed store that says they have Ameraucanas actually have Easter eggers. If they say they have a specific color variety, usually black or blue, then you have a better shot at getting a real Ameraucana. But Easter eggers are great, too. I like them better, personally.
That’s great know! I love these chicks already. I am a new chick mama with so much to learn and truly appreciate your input.

You’d have to go to a breeder or Meyer hatchery for true ameraucanas. Easter eggers are great too though, I love their colored feathers and eggs.
Great to know! Thanks. This Easter Egger I have is just simply adorable! The cheeks are too cute. So much personality and not shy at all from the flock. She’s my already my fave.

Are you sure those Breds are the only breeds?
I see:
Welsummer or Brown Leghorn. Speckled Sussex if has pink legs.
Black Sex Link. Unless you know it's a Olive Egger. It could be as well.
Barred Rock. CM have white legs.
Easter Egger
SLW

Yes. 4 definitely isn't the right color and 2 could only be a brown/red Ameraucana, which is probably the rarest color and wouldn't be found at a feed store or even at a hatchery. Feed stores often sell Easter eggers as Ameraucanas. I have no idea why-- the name Easter egger seems pretty marketable to me.
Newbie here & I have a question on something you said about Ameraucanas- got mine from Ideal, and 4 appear to be brown red. Am I very lucky, or are these a different color?

Attachments

• 20180422_073624.jpg
    20180422_073624.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20180410_182810.jpg
    20180410_182810.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 7
So you're saying that the chickens I have are not Ameraucanas? I'd be very disappointed, because that's what I ordered and paid for.
Yours are definitely Easter eggers. Their coloring is closer to black breasted red, which isn't an accepted color for Ameraucanas. And true Ameraucanas have white skin and never have green legs as a result. Here is a picture of brown/red Ameraucanas for reference:
brownred.jpg

Yours are definitely Easter eggers. Their coloring is closer to black breasted red, which isn't an accepted color for Ameraucanas. And true Ameraucanas have white skin. Here is a picture of brown/red Ameraucanas for reference:View attachment 1351243
Well, can't say I'm not a bit disappointed, because my dad raised ameraucanas. But I still love the little buggers just the same

Back
Top Bottom