Want your opinions!

Do you have a lot of problems with mites in your wood coop? Is the wood coop super difficult to clean? Thanks!
My coops are 30 plus years old and were built by previous owners using wood from an old house. I recently had to reroof both coops. In the beginning I noticed red mites at night on drop board but was diligent in getting rid of them. Now I don't have any problems but keep a watchful eye and use prevention measures. My issue is with termites in some areas and have not sprayed for fear it might harm my hens. Plus feel plastic is easier to clean and disinfect. Maybe if the wood had been treated and new when coops were built I'd feel different.

Last edited:
We’re in West Tennessee, Zone 7, I updated the post to include it. Thanks!
Here's how to add it to your profile so ti shows up under your avatar.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-1-22_16-53-21.png

I would recommend building your own shed if at all possible,
that way you can have larger roof overhangs and top hinged windows for the best ventilation options.
I was lucky and already had a large shed on my property and built my coop inside that.

I've seen plenty of sheds converted into coops. One good thing about doing it that way is that there is typically tons of room inside them for your birds. You can even section it off so it's still somewhat usable as a shed. I'd say the only downside is the cost of a new shed. If you are so inclined, build a coop. It's satisfying and you can design it to meet the exact needs of you and your chickens. It will save you $$$ and will last a long time.

Here's my recent build. Took me about 3 days to get it to the point that my birds could live inside safely. Now it's one addition after another; loads of fun though.

This coop was only built last year, but always a work in progress as I move things around, add things, remove things. The window on the backdoor was a total afterthought. Lots of afterthoughts with this build.
Just curious about if ventilation is enough in your climate.
....and geez pasting your links all over the place smacks of view phishing.

In TN our biggest issue is humidity. The second is hard packed ground that either leaves you with standing water or a mud pond. I'd steer away from plastics because it could just turn your coop into a mini oven. Ours is wood in a semi shaded area but gets full southern sun exposure. I've had temps up near 100 inside during the summer. Can you post a picture or give an idea of your yard?

Just curious about if ventilation is enough in your climate.
....and geez pasting your links all over the place smacks of view phishing.

The bug zapper link he is posting all over is an "affiliate link" and earns him a commission if anyone buys it. I knew something smelled fishy..... It is really bad etiquette to not disclose when you are posting affiliate links.

The bug zapper link he is posting all over is an "affiliate link" and earns him a commission if anyone buys it. I knew something smelled fishy..... It is really bad etiquette to not disclose when you are posting affiliate links.
Agrees... but I found the youtube links more annoying.

Back
Top Bottom