20220429_190357.jpg
20220429_190421.jpg
Resized_PSX_20220422_221248.jpg

These are my meat birds. The Delawares grow quite a bit faster than the Barred Rocks, but they require more feed and higher protien to do so. My Barred Rocks catch them at about 4 months and they could do it on grass and corn.

For now I'd choose the Delawares every time, but for sustainability with the possiblity of feed shortages the Barred Rocks would never miss a beat.

They both lay pretty good too. Maybe the Barred Rocks lay a little better with larger eggs.

View attachment 3097584View attachment 3097585View attachment 3097586

These are my meat birds. The Delawares grow quite a bit faster than the Barred Rocks, but they require more feed and higher protien to do so. My Barred Rocks catch them at about 4 months and they could do it on grass and corn.

For now I'd choose the Delawares every time, but for sustainability with the possiblity of feed shortages the Barred Rocks would never miss a beat.

They both lay pretty good too. Maybe the Barred Rocks lay a little better with larger eggs.
Awesome! Do you mind if I ask a bunch of questions?

Are you in the Mobile area?
Where did you get your birds and how long have you been breeding them?
Have you ever tried crossing the two breeds?
What do they weigh at 12 weeks and 16 weeks?
What do you feed your Delawares? If you fed them a lower protein diet would they just take longer to reach the right weight?
What is the temperament of the roosters like in each breed?
Do you have chicks, hatching eggs or breeding pairs available?
Do you free range or rotate them through pasture with a tractor?

Awesome! Do you mind if I ask a bunch of questions?

Are you in the Mobile area?
Where did you get your birds and how long have you been breeding them?
Have you ever tried crossing the two breeds?
What do they weigh at 12 weeks and 16 weeks?
What do you feed your Delawares? If you fed them a lower protein diet would they just take longer to reach the right weight?
What is the temperament of the roosters like in each breed?
Do you have chicks, hatching eggs or breeding pairs available?
Do you free range or rotate them through pasture with a tractor?

I don't mind questions.. I love talking about chickens.

I'm near Dothan.

About 2 years. I bought some locally and liked the breeds so I bought more from Hoovers. everyone has an opinion about Hoovers but I've had much luck with several breeds from them. The Delwares I have now are grandchildren from the local birds and the Hoovers birds, bred for size. The barred rocks are grandchildren from Hoovers birds.

These are now at 11 weeks and Ive started feeding with 17% all flock and corn, up until now its been 20% non-medicated starter. I believe corn at the end makes better meat, I could be wrong.. but that added fat seems to add to the flavor.

I'm sure about the weight, I've just never weighed a chicken.. I should though.

I've hatched a few Barred Rock x Delawares as an experiment, they're about 2 weeks. I'll see how this goes. The main reason I don't do many crosses is that I need to sell a certain number of chickens to fund this menagerie, and people are more likely to buy pure bred chickens.

I do believe in general chickens will grow with whatever you feed them.. But yes not as fast and you run the risk of behavior issues like pecking, especially in the higher production breeds. If they are deficient in anything. Barred Rocks don't ever seem ravenous like the Delawares can.

They live brooders for the first 4 weeks.. then in walk in coops with hay, until about 8 weeks and then I move them to fresh grass with the tractors. I move those once a day or once every 2 days.

I've never had a mean rooster from either of these breeds.. In fact the only one that comes to mind was a Buff Orpington who must have been a one off.

Yes I have Breeding pairs and chicks for sale. At this time I'm not doing any eggs.

I don't mind questions.. I love talking about chickens.

I'm near Dothan.

About 2 years. I bought some locally and liked the breeds so I bought more from Hoovers. everyone has an opinion about Hoovers but I've had much luck with several breeds from them. The Delwares I have now are grandchildren from the local birds and the Hoovers birds, bred for size. The barred rocks are grandchildren from Hoovers birds.

These are now at 11 weeks and Ive started feeding with 17% all flock and corn, up until now its been 20% non-medicated starter. I believe corn at the end makes better meat, I could be wrong.. but that added fat seems to add to the flavor.

I'm sure about the weight, I've just never weighed a chicken.. I should though.

I've hatched a few Barred Rock x Delawares as an experiment, they're about 2 weeks. I'll see how this goes. The main reason I don't do many crosses is that I need to sell a certain number of chickens to fund this menagerie, and people are more likely to buy pure bred chickens.

I do believe in general chickens will grow with whatever you feed them.. But yes not as fast and you run the risk of behavior issues like pecking, especially in the higher production breeds. If they are deficient in anything. Barred Rocks don't ever seem ravenous like the Delawares can.

They live brooders for the first 4 weeks.. then in walk in coops with hay, until about 8 weeks and then I move them to fresh grass with the tractors. I move those once a day or once every 2 days.

I've never had a mean rooster from either of these breeds.. In fact the only one that comes to mind was a Buff Orpington who must have been a one off.

Yes I have Breeding pairs and chicks for sale. At this time I'm not doing any eggs.
Thank you!

I'd love to know how your crosses turn out. How often do you have chicks available? I am working on plans for a tractor and pasture rotation system but need to get that in place before I get more birds.

I think my plan is to try a few breeds and see which works best for our farm. I'm interested in the Delawares and was also considering the new Hampshires from freedom ranger hatchery. I plan to keep breeding pairs and might try some crosses if that seems profitable for us.

Thank you!

I'd love to know how your crosses turn out. How often do you have chicks available? I am working on plans for a tractor and pasture rotation system but need to get that in place before I get more birds.

I think my plan is to try a few breeds and see which works best for our farm. I'm interested in the Delawares and was also considering the new Hampshires from freedom ranger hatchery. I plan to keep breeding pairs and might try some crosses if that seems profitable for us.

I have new chickens every month.. Also quite a few chicken tractors. I sell those for 250, and I can work a deal that includes chickens. I get the lumber from a local mill that treats well. Its not pressure treated, as I dont like the idea of that being near my food.. it is hardwood though, not pine. The tractor pictured below has been in service 1 year and is holding up well. I know you're down in Mobile, but you might find that my price is good enough to bring a trailer. They're really light, enough so that my wife and son can move them, so you could fit a few in a uhaul.

They're 4x8.

20220429_190352.jpg

20220429_190404.jpg
20220429_190357.jpg

The Conrnish X also work if you are not over feeding them and then select & keep the medium size bird. You can also cross to other breed like White Rock, Bresse, Delaware, etc...for better result.

Back
Top Bottom