wanted to buy Pintail Ducks

Wrong person!

barnie.gif
I keep misreading everything now...

I think someone already referred to an earlier post I made but I know a breeder in MN that has pintails for sale. I bought my pair for $45, they are this spring's hatch. His email address is [email protected]. Mine were shipped through a local delivery service so I'm not 100% positive he ships through the postal service, but you could drop him an email and find out. He also breeds Jumbo Canadian Geese, Redheads, blue wing teal, canvasbacks, wood ducks and some I'm probably forgetting.
I have also ordered call ducks from Mallard Lane and was happy with them.

Edit: Re-reading through posts maybe he is selling them for more now. I have bought from him in the past, so maybe he gave me a deal?

Last edited:
Thank you all for your help! I will contact him and see what's available. For now I am using photographs to draw from. The problem with this, I don't know how big they are- there is no way to get them in scale--are they bigger or smaller than Mallards, or about the same size?
smile.png
tongue.png

they are just about the same, some mallards tend to be a bit heftier than others. I have a few that are not mixed with rouens but are still gigantic and others that are call duckish.

pintails males 2-3 pounds females 1.5-2
mallards males 2.5-3.5 and females 2-2.5

Last edited:
Quote:
Yep, do not buy from on line hatcheries, none of these places have birds, all they do it take your money and have a breeder drop ship them to you and charge 3 times what a breeder would.
$45 for northern pintails is plenty, no more that $70 though, and to me, that's double what they are worth nearly.
As for shipping, dont worry about it, they ship very well in the fall. I have had 1,000's shipped to me, and 1,000's shipped out, never once lost a single bird.

Get you a copy of tha gamebird breeders gazzette, the A.P.W.S. or go to the GBWF for sale section. You can find them pretty quick, northern pinatils are one of the more commonly kept of the migratory ducks. Just bare in mind, you will need a permit to dispose of them in any way other than persoanl use. You cant sell, or give them away without one. Persoanl keeping is fine, you will be issued a 3-186 transfer form from a permited breeder when you get them

Quote:
or give them away without one.

Haha thanks for that, i was pretty sure you still needed one to do it but and i was just about to go check the permit overview and you saved me some reading.

yep, dead or alive, unless they die naturally and you throw them away, or you eat them, they MUST stay with you unless you have the permit, even dead specimens for taxidermy have to be transferred to the taxidermist by federal paper.

Get you a copy of tha gamebird breeders gazzette, the A.P.W.S. or go to the GBWF for sale section.

I didn't know about his GBWF website until now. I took a look at it and this is going to get me into a lot of trouble with my husband! I'm going to need a bigger pond and another outbuilding for all the ducks I can easily and inexpensively aquire.​

Quote:
I didn't know about his GBWF website until now. I took a look at it and this is going to get me into a lot of trouble with my husband! I'm going to need a bigger pond and another outbuilding for all the ducks I can easily and inexpensively aquire.

gbwf..... that is how I ended up with my massive pen!! and a few more coming!! bad really bad.. actually it started with Dog Days Flea Market.. some guy kids had some Mandarins and had no idea what they had 3 for $30! (maybe 35) so we went from 3 Mandarins to 128 and growing birds!! Yeah I have a bad duck addiction!!

Back
Top Bottom