Wanting advice about my broodies

Jun 1, 2018
Canada
So my last couple of months I’ve been arguing with a few of my hens about them wanting to hatch more chicks (I still have 23 from my last hatch). Anyways, my dog passed away and I couldn’t be bothered to argue with them about collecting eggs. Sure enough 4 of them sat on eggs. One (pearl) chucked them out of the box so she’s got none left. Another (Rusty) started with 8 eggs and was left with 3 and was off free ranging with the others for a day while Pearl kept her clutch warm. So I popped those 3 under Sunshine who’s been devotedly sitting on her clutch. And the last hen (Blackie) broke one of her 3 so Sunshine got those 2 as well. Now the hens are all taking their turns sitting on Sunshine’s clutch and she’s started to free range more often again. The eggs are hatching now and I was planning on moving the family to their own crate but I’m nervous about picking the wrong hen to raise them since they’ve been playing musical mama. I’m a little worried letting the hens raise them together in the main coop as there’s still 6 other birds including a rooster in with them. Should I just put them under a lamp in their own area with no hen? The chicken prison is going to be pretty crowded with me trying to tame all these broodies. Sorry for the life story hope my struggles may at least have brought you a chuckle.
Would just like opinions on which hen or if any should raise the chicks.

I would let them carry on, at least until problems arise, if they do. Others have had broodies successfully share both the sitting and the raising, and I don't see why your girls should fail now.

I have raised all broods within the flock, which includes multiple roos, and have never had another bird attack a chick. Some other people have had different experiences, but that's mine.

If you separate them you will need to reintegrate them later.
And if you separate and pick a broody, you may not choose the best one, as you note. How do you think the broodies who lose their chicks will react?
If you separate and don't include a broody, you'll have to play that role. Do you know what to do? Have you got the time to do it?
Your broodies were born to it, and instinctively know what to do; why not let them do it?
And the natural way to raise them is within the flock; again, why not let them grow up naturally?

I had 2 broody ducks, both were separated with their own clutches. I sold all the babies except 1, I let them both out to free range. They both ended up mothering the loan duckling, and being great mommas. They even sat together to keep it warm

I would let them carry on, at least until problems arise, if they do. Others have had broodies successfully share both the sitting and the raising, and I don't see why your girls should fail now.

I have raised all broods within the flock, which includes multiple roos, and have never had another bird attack a chick. Some other people have had different experiences, but that's mine.

If you separate them you will need to reintegrate them later.
And if you separate and pick a broody, you may not choose the best one, as you note. How do you think the broodies who lose their chicks will react?
If you separate and don't include a broody, you'll have to play that role. Do you know what to do? Have you got the time to do it?
Your broodies were born to it, and instinctively know what to do; why not let them do it?
And the natural way to raise them is within the flock; again, why not let them grow up naturally?
This morning I woke up to the hen sitting on them having eaten 2 of them already... I’m familiar with hand raising chicks it was the broodies I wasn’t familiar with. It looks like I’ll be hand raising them since she thinks they are nice snacks and everyone else has decided they no longer care and would prefer to sit on the golf balls instead of the chicks.
:barnie

Back
Top Bottom