Wanting to try broody?

theguy67

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 23, 2010
Ive incubated eggs in the past, and was thinking of trying with a broody with my currently 11 eggs. I have not taken any from the nest and I think she stopped at 11 ( is that to many?). I am not sure if she is sitting on them tho. Shes in and out throughout the day. How do I ensure that she incubates them? Is there anything I can do or will it take afew tries before she finally decides to go broody?

She does not sound like she is really broody. Best to make sure a hen sleeps in the nest and stays on it all day for a couple of days, as well as growls and fluffs at you if you reach into the nest, before giving her eggs to hatch. They should get off the nest only once or twice a day and then only for a few minutes, to take care of business.

But I agree, I love broodies, they are the way to go, IMO. You might like this article:

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html

Well she dose do those things, and I never try to reach in there from fear of pecking. And everytime I walk by shes in the coop, but will come running out so maybe she is nesting.

Back
Top Bottom