Wart? Gowth? Tumour? Pox? Inside the corner od the beak.

fatimastic

Songster
Aug 26, 2020
Pakistan
I just noticed that my hen has this yellow wart on the lower beak, which is also in the upper beak in the same area. That side of her face has an ingrown, squishy growth.

She seems to be eating and going about her day just fine.

We had a case of fowl pox which the chook solved on her own last year.
@azygous @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210609-102850_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20210609-102850_WhatsApp.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I just noticed that my hen has this yellow wart on the lower beak, which is also in the upper beak in the same area. That side of her face has an ingrown, squishy growth.

She seems to be eating and going about her day just fine.

We had a case of fowl pox which the chook solved on her own last year.
Thinking Canker, or possible abscess.

The pus is on border of the beak.

Should I try taking it out?
I have been giving all of my flock garlic water for a week.
Yes, garlic does have immune system boosting properties, but it can also cause harm to the birds, making them go anemic if used too much for too long.

It doesn't help with everything.

I believe canker can be on the border of the beak sometimes. But it may also be an abscess.

I'll tag in a few people who maybe able to help you better then I can.

It could be the wet form of fowl pox if there was still some pox floating around the coop with shed scabs. But canker also can cause yellow plaques inside the beak and throat and down into the esophagus and crop. Does it smell bad? Canker tends to have a bad odor, and is brought in by wild birds and pigeons. Canker is treated with anti-protozoan drugs, such as Fish Zole (metronidazole, Flagyl) and ronidazole, which can be found on fish and pigeon sites. There is no cure for wet fowl pox, as it lasts several weeks.

It's either fowl pox or canker. If you have a lot of pigeons hanging around, it points a stronger finger at canker, but if you lack pigeons and instead have an abundance of mosquitoes, it's probably pox.

You can paint iodine on the lesion and it will go away more quickly if it's pox.
We rarely have any pigeons. But the amount of mosquitoes we have is ginormous. Especially at night.

It could be the wet form of fowl pox if there was still some pox floating around the coop with shed scabs. But canker also can cause yellow plaques inside the beak and throat and down into the esophagus and crop. Does it smell bad? Canker tends to have a bad odor, and is brought in by wild birds and pigeons. Canker is treated with anti-protozoan drugs, such as Fish Zole (metronidazole, Flagyl) and ronidazole, which can be found on fish and pigeon sites. There is no cure for wet fowl pox, as it lasts several weeks.
We don't really have pigeons but we have a family of Common Myna living in our garage's ceiling. We do have a lot of visits from other wild birds as well because we provide them with water.

It does not really smell bad, but I will have to check it out again today.

Back
Top Bottom