Was so mad I nearly beat my roo to death.

Wow folks. I think she gets the idea. Enough with the piling of the shame. Why doesn't everybody calm down for a sec and notice that she's been tsktskd at plenty of times already? It's nearly enough to drive a newbie like me away!

Quote:
I agree 100%! You will NOT be wasting the chicken, and you will have some peace and quiet. You won't have to worry about getting attacked every time you are in the coop.

Quote:
First,
welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif

Second,
After you've been on a while, you will find you read the first couple of pages and if something is so emotional for you, you'll just jump to "reply" and I suspect most of the people (myslelf included) did.
You're right. It souldn't have bee piled on. Perhaps the others, as I, read the first couple of pages and thought she hadn't been replied to in the manner they thought she should have been already.
I for 1 am sorry I piled it on (and I do apologize)....but grateful she doesn't live near me, and it reminds me, that when some one wants some of my "babies", I can only hope, and not ASS U ME they are animal lovers like me.

Quote:
Thank you very much for the welcome!
And thank you very much for responding. It really was just OMG HOLY COW!!! It kinda makes me scared to post anything for fear I'll get 3 pages of finger wagging and soap boxing if I post something that I didn't know was controversial. I think we've all lost our temper at some point and just snapped at something. Unfortunately you can't apologize to rosters in a way that they'll understand. And with so many folks saying that a light thump or boot helps correct the problem behavior in a roo, she may have not realized that she'd opened a can of worms. It sounds like she came here in a bit of a distraught state and just got pages of OMG YOU ARE AN *ABUUUUSERRRR* rather than, Hey, you should probably just stew it if it makes you lose your temper that bad.
I do appreciate your input though. Sometimes we don't always realize just how bad we stirred the pot, and we don't always stop to see what others have said first before we step off into it. I know I've been on both sides of that fence.
big_smile.png

I have a question about culling, but now I'm not so sure I want to ask it, yanno?

Quote:
Thank you very much for the welcome!
And thank you very much for responding. It really was just OMG HOLY COW!!! It kinda makes me scared to post anything for fear I'll get 3 pages of finger wagging and soap boxing if I post something that I didn't know was controversial. I think we've all lost our temper at some point and just snapped at something. Unfortunately you can't apologize to rosters in a way that they'll understand. And with so many folks saying that a light thump or boot helps correct the problem behavior in a roo, she may have not realized that she'd opened a can of worms. It sounds like she came here in a bit of a distraught state and just got pages of OMG YOU ARE AN *ABUUUUSERRRR* rather than, Hey, you should probably just stew it if it makes you lose your temper that bad.
I do appreciate your input though. Sometimes we don't always realize just how bad we stirred the pot, and we don't always stop to see what others have said first before we step off into it. I know I've been on both sides of that fence.
big_smile.png

I have a question about culling, but now I'm not so sure I want to ask it, yanno?

Been there and done that before when I was new
tongue.png

About the culling, I would ask here in the Managing Your Flock section

I think that will do the trick. My rooster always attacks my boy friend if he goes near the coop and he help raise him from a day old chick. haha But trust me I let him no not to mess with me and I've wacked him a few times for comming after me and he never attacks me never. He doesn't dare.

I completely understand carrying a stick to keep a roo off of you, and I do not think that hitting an attacking bird counts as any kind of cruelty- any animal that viciously attacked me would get a smack, it's not acceptable behavior.

Technically speaking, if that roo attempted that behavior on a fellow roo, the result would not have been an efficient whack on the head but a lengthy blood bath. I know we are the superior being. Does that mean that if the superior space aliens come, we would understand if they acted as they normally do, or would we understand them better if they acted as we do?
I don't blame the Op for her panicked behavior. There but for the grace of an attacking rooster could be any of us. Remember she was attacked from behind on her head! This wasn't an attack on the feet/knees/hips/hands.
I had a roo I tried every method on. Some just are too mentally close minded ( DUMB?) to think of what they cause/effect.
Make some good soup and find another boy who has a clue how to behave.

I had this problem once when I was about ten every time I went into the pen the rooster would go after me and like others on here have said kick him like a football. He was a Barred Rock Rooster he attacked me so badly one time I started pouring blood and have a scar on the palm of my hand still from this dang rooster. I decided the only way for him to stop was to pick him up and carrying him around while I fed the hens and did the rest of my chores. And when I was carrying him around I used my pointer finger and "pecked" his head a few time just for the hell of it, to show him who's boss if you will. When I went to pick him up he gave me a run for my money but soon enough he was slower and slower and once I got him into a corner I was able to grab him. But if you go to do this be VERY careful of your eyes because these bastards will without a dout will try to peck at them.

Hope this helps you...

Back
Top Bottom