Washing & storing eggs

Don't wash, don't refrigerate... never have. I do occasionally give some away and let the recipients know they have not been washed or refrigerated. I tell them if they choose to wash them, use immediately or refrigerated.

I have 5 girls. I collect every day and sometimes I leave them out on the counter for a day or two (I only leave them out due to me being lazy sometimes). When I'm ready I rinse them in warm water just to get the mud, poo and blood specks off, I then dry them with a paper towel and I write the date laid in pencil on the egg and then refrigerate.

I have no issue with eggs never seeing the inside of a fridge so long as they have never been washed or rinsed. I just personally prefer to fry/scramble eggs from cold but I bake with eggs at room temp. I fry and use eggs as a coating more than I bake. It's all a matter of personal choice. There does not seem to be a safety issue either way you go. I know some cooks will say that by leaving them unrefrigerated that qaulity is lost but I also know that some will say unrefrigerated eggs are better qaulity.

It's kind of like butter or margarine?

Last edited:
Well USA is not the only country to keep eggs in the Fridge
wink.png

We always have and really think nothing of it - Our girls might have rolled poop on it or have shavings on it etc but we just rub it of and stick it in the cold box!
big_smile.png

I'm not the original poster, but, how long can the eggs be safely kept unwashed and unrefridgerated? Days? Weeks? And at what room temps? I know they say store bought eggs can sometimes be several weeks old or even months when you buy them, washed of course.YUCK

Last edited:
Well dang, I'll be changing my practice immediately. I thought I read what I've been doing......went back and checked again. Hmmmmm.......got that wrong about the water temp. I was using cooler water not cold water. At any rate, will change starting today. Thanks for letting me know everyone.

Back
Top Bottom