Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Oct 19, 2012.

1. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    Whenever you want them is fine. I haven't decided what I'm going to do about hatching this year. If you want to hatch extras so you can choose the ones you want to keep, you could do that. I have a few people that want some ducklings, so it wouldn't be a problem for me to find homes for any extras you don't want.

2. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

Geeez Tamara what ya been doin in all yer spare time.
    I hope all goes well for yer DH. I have been down that road.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

4. CarolynF

CarolynF Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Puget Sound
    My Coop
    Okay. I just looked it up on Territorial and here's what it said...
    Sweet Meat Squash
    C. maxima 115 days. One of the heirloom treasures of the Northwest, Sweet Meat is still virtually unknown in the rest of the US. This 10-15 pound, slate gray, round squash is renowned for its superb keeping quality and unsurpassed rich, sweet flavor. It makes the best pumpkin pie on earth! Vigorous vines grow to 10 feet. We sell the original, uniform, high-yielding Gill Brothers strain.

If I had the extra room I might try them. Delicata are very compact and the squash is much smaller which works well for me. I don't use them for pies but for the dinner table. I'd love to have them both! Thanks for the info.

ETA: answering your question about hatching eggs.... no that's not part of the plan.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  5. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle

6. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA

7. FirewifeJess

FirewifeJess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    I'm DYING for these kids to go to bed so I can go outside and slip these chicks to Lucy!!! Yes I'm crazy. Crazy for lots and lots of chickens!!! [​IMG]

8. Lutefisk

Lutefisk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    I think they are safe now, but he did kill 4 out of our first 6 (the other two were in the coop). The Ameraucana (EE?) closest to the camera is the sole survivor we have left (the other we put down later due to a tumor). We were out when this happened and came home to carnage all over the back yard, very upsetting. Things were very unpleasant for Sirk for a couple of days, he wasn't allowed in the house or even on the deck, and got yelled at if he even looked at the chickens for weeks after. He hasn't touched one since, over a year now and he spends every day outside with them unsupervised. I would have preferred a more positive way, but he's reliable now and it's really nice to let the hens free range without fear of predators.

9. Mumsy

Mumsy Chillin' With My Peeps

This iris doesn't need a wet land to become invasive. It is a prolific seed spreader. The huge root clumps are nearly impossible to break up except with a pick ax. One small root will become another huge clump in a couple years time. It would be ok planted in the area you describe but if it gets into a pond or lake, it will over grow and suffocate all other native flora. It offers nothing for wildlife to eat. I regret the day I planted this as a small start on my property. I've been trying to dig it up and kill it ever since.

10. itsren

itsren Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Pacific Northwest
    Sting is planning on it. I'll call ya Sunday morning to see if it works for you. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by