Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Lutefisk

Lutefisk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    could try a string trimmer too. You'll go through the string pretty quick though.

2. FirewifeJess

FirewifeJess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    When we got home from the Grand Prix, one of the chicks had squeezed through the wire front of the hutch and fallen out. dummy. Who knows how long it was out there in the 40 degree weather while we were gone from 11:15-3:00, but it was fine. I'm done with the hutch drama. I put a plastic bin in the run with shavings inside, tossed all the chicks in there and threw Lucy in too. Food and water on the dirt floor right outside the bin and that's all they have to protect them from the wind. Better than some of the chicks being too dumb to get back to mama. [​IMG] Removed the rabbit hutch and all else from the broody side of the chicken run and I think things will go better now. Maybe. If not, I don't really care. Don't have time to stress over that. [​IMG]

3. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    Chicken related What age/size do you put a pullet with the rest of the flock? I am leaving one out there going out and checking once in a while. I had her for the past few days in a crate out there (wire) so they could see but not touch. now there is some pecking at it. but not much. It's fully feathered, and almost as tall as my banty hens.

4. FirewifeJess

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    If someone really gets mad at that little one, they'll kill her. I would wait until she's at least 2/3 the size of your largest or most aggressive hen. Probably wait until 12-16 weeks at least.

5. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    I have done as early as 9 weeks, but that was out of necessity. It went ok, but they did have a rough 4 weeks until they were the same size.

6. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Or a half moon edger.

7. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    She's already about the same height/weight as most my hens. My large hen isn't aggressive. My big fat hen is one that leaves every one alone as long as they leave her alone.
    So far she's doing good. I'm just doing it trial. If i go anywhere i'll cage her back up.
    I don't want my chick hurt. i just want it to have space to move around like the others. and it keeps tipping over it's water (the jar type) so i was having to go out every half hour to give it water.

8. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    She's already about same size as my hens. She's a mixed large breed chicken and my chickens are banty mix's.

9. FirewifeJess

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    OK so my flock dynamics must be so strange! I left the run door open for a while and Lucy was walking about with the chicks and 3 of my other hens went in to check them out and sneak some chick feed. Um...nobody went after the chicks and ignored them completely. Also, Lucy could have cared less that they were in there with her and the chicks. What's going on?! [​IMG] Why isn't she more protective of them?

10. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    If the other hens are ignoring the chicks, there is no to reason for Lucy to get defensive. Flocks don't live in a constant state of turmoil. At some point, Lucy will decide it's time for the kids to make their own way, and the other hens will put them in their place, but generally with minimal bloodshed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by