Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Alright so here's what I've come up with. Wind is blowing out there pretty hard, but not inside the bin. I move the wire too, because I was sick of not having easy access to the main run and Lucy definitely didn't need that much space with the chicks...but the big girls sure needed more room! Thinking about putting a piece of plywood against the wall of the run on the door side, to keep out wind and rain completely. I can wedge it between the hutch and the hardware cloth I think.

Last edited:
So we used a COME a long flat shovel pitchfork and so wood, we got one big one done and 3 small ones done just one more big one to do. That one will be tomorrow. Guess I will try the flat shovel first on top than do the rest. Thank you for all your help.

Alright so here's what I've come up with. Wind is blowing out there pretty hard, but not inside the bin. I move the wire too, because I was sick of not having easy access to the main run and Lucy definitely didn't need that much space with the chicks...but the big girls sure needed more room! Thinking about putting a piece of plywood against the wall of the run on the door side, to keep out wind and rain completely. I can wedge it between the hutch and the hardware cloth I think.

I would do the plywood, just for the extra protection. And Lucy will defend, if it is needed. My Whitey only flogged one hen, and that was because that hen tried to take her spot in the pecking order. She never flogged my 12lb rooster who would call the chicks over for treats with everyone else. And the only time one of the chicks got a corrective peck was from Bossy Bertha(top girl) when a chick tried to get under her for warmth, she just gave it one peck in the middle of the back. It didn't go near her anymore.

So we used a COME a long flat shovel pitchfork and so wood, we got one big one done and 3 small ones done just one more big one to do. That one will be tomorrow. Guess I will try the flat shovel first on top than do the rest. Thank you for all your help.

I'm glad you got some of them up.

Quote: I'm a Taurus, end of April. If I'd waited another day, my birthstone would have been emerald. I do love emeralds.

My wife's is May(Emerald) and mine is Sept.(Sapphire) which are our two favorites, even above diamonds. But we both have those too
Sapphires come in some mighty pretty colors, too.

What does everyone use to mark their eggs for hatching? Pencil doesn't work for me with the broodies. They wear it off. Are permanent markers safe? I need something better than remarking with a pencil every few days.

I've always left the broodies in the big pen or with the silkies, but the silkie rooster absolutely hates Owl because she used to pick on them when they were young. Owl has decided to volunteer to go broody. So I'll add a few more nest boxes and let her sit in the big coop.

Owl is a mean spaz normally, but she gets so nice when broody. I'm waiting another day, then I'll give her some ameraucana and EE eggs. She she sat a month last time on nothing because it was to cold for chicks. Guess she had to embrace this silkie half of her blood.

What does everyone use to mark their eggs for hatching? Pencil doesn't work for me with the broodies. They wear it off. Are permanent markers safe? I need something better than remarking with a pencil every few days.

I've always left the broodies in the big pen or with the silkies, but the silkie rooster absolutely hates Owl because she used to pick on them when they were young. Owl has decided to volunteer to go broody. So I'll add a few more nest boxes and let her sit in the big coop.

Owl is a mean spaz normally, but she gets so nice when broody. I'm waiting another day, then I'll give her some ameraucana and EE eggs. She she sat a month last time on nothing because it was to cold for chicks. Guess she had to embrace this silkie half of her blood.

I use a Sharpie. On my second batch now. But I had 6 never develop, not fertile. I had to trim the feathers around my rooster's vent. He is half English Orp and is real fluffy back there. I think he was having troubles with contact. He kept trying to mate the hens several times a day, which he usually only does maybe twice a day normally. So I have one developing and maybe getting 3-4 bantam BLRW from Cloverleaf Farms

Back
Top Bottom