Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA

I've caught a few episodes of it. Used to watch the British version back when we had BBC.

Bela Lugosi was good. I like his movies.

2. Slinglings

Slinglings Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2012
    Seattle 98125
    what color are your flowers? You know I have a lot but I would be interested in a different color.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

4. RainMom

RainMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Hobart, WA
    Sooooooo.....picked up some new hens yesterday for my son's EGGciting enterprise. [​IMG]. We got a "variety pack".

These just started laying, so he can have an "instant" increase in his egg sales. We've got them in the smaller pen, which is not a perfect situation, but we will be making larger stationary pens soon anyway. They've got 10x10 area to roam, plus plenty of inside space in this giant converted doghouse- has everything they ned now- roosts, temporary nest boxes (milk crates, etc).

I just got our first egg from the newbies when I went out this morning- a cute little banty-sized one- quite a difference from the jumbo eggs we get from our older hens. I forgot what a huge difference in size there is wiht "beginners" and established hens.

Looks like we better get our permanent chicken house going reallysoon!

5. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle

6. RainMom

RainMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Hobart, WA
    Coconut oil is not bad for you- unless hydrogenzied. ANYTHING hydrogenized clogs arteries and causes damage. What happened years ago was that the US vegetable oil/corn oil big business wanted to try to promote that vegetable oils- corn, soy, canola, etc- were HEALTHY for us, and try to block imported oils- coconut and palm oils, so they ran a mass campaign trashing the tropical oil producers, to get rid of the competition. The campaign was/is known as the "tropical grease campaign" and you can google that phrase and read all about it.

rant: When you look at the state of US health over the last 30-40 years, one thing sticks out above all- people are losing their minds when they age. Alzheimer's is rampant- we never, ever, ever saw "alzheimer's homes' when I was growingup. I',m not sure about you all, but I can vividly recall how sharp my grandma's and great grandma's brains were- they were treasures of info. Their bodies wore out- but their brains were intact. Nowadays, our seniors are losing their minds and getting dementia. There's many, many, many in the research and clinical practice communities who have provided case studies and research that strongly associates this with the conversion from animal and natural fats, to hydrogenated and vegetable oils.

Your brain is made from fat. It needs cholesterol to function. When we use hydrogenated oils or "low fat" options, we are starving our brains of the essential nutrients needed to sustain a healthy mylein sheath and neural synapses- the connections between neurons.

When I was eating mass produced food, I had seriously high triglycerides, type 2 diabetes, and was having problems with my gall bladder. DH was in the same shape, plus kidney stones. I changed our diets- we only use coconut oil, grapeseed oil, olive oil, occassional palm shortening, and whatever grease we get from grass-fed meats, and stopped consuming anythign with corn syrup. It only took 3-4 months to completely reverse every single one of those health issues. All our abwork became normal, much to the dismay of the doctors who wanted to RX statin drugs and BP medication. (gee, I was so sorry to let them down!=- NOT!)

Here's a list of studies and info- including reversing alzheimer's with coconut oil.
    http://www.deliciousobsessions.com/2012/04/coconut-oil-and-alzheimers-new-and-exciting-research/

7. FirewifeJess

FirewifeJess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    I'm so glad you weighed in as I haven't had a chance yet. Coconut oil is a WONDERFULLY healthy fat! Every morning when I wake up I eat a teaspoon of it to jump start my metabolism and help lose weight. It works! Coconut oil is healthy for the whole body, inside and out. I use it as a moisturizer and to sautee most of my veggies in, and also in ALL my baking as a butter substitute.

Speaking of Almond Joys, here's an amazing, delicious, homemade, HEALTHY almond joy recipe. We LOVE them! http://www.ovenlove.blogspot.com/2013/01/chocolate-coconut-bites.html?m=1

Here's a list of link on the benefits of coconut oil and why it's so helpful in fighting infection, and also why it's not bad for you.
    http://www.doctoroz.com/blog/charles-mattocks/benefits-coconut-oil
    http://www.naturalnews.com/036156_Coconut_oil_superfood_healing.html
    http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/faq.htm

Anyway, I know a lot of you think I'm a food nut, and maybe I am, but we have been shown first hand that using coconut oil is extremely healthy and helpful for the body in many ways.

8. ChickAudie

ChickAudie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2012
    Woooo-hooooo!!!! Coop doors got their first coat of paint today!! VERY COOL bronze automotive paint!! The ladies will be so spoiled, I've got half their names figured out, princesses Buttercup, Caribou and Marie Antoinette :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. TacomaFarms

TacomaFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    Tacoma, WA

10. FirewifeJess

FirewifeJess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    Well, y'all were right. I can't believe how hearty these broody raised chicks are but it's pretty cool how much they're out from under mama, even in hailing windy conditions, and they're just fine! I love being out there with them all but it's impossible to spend too much time because I get so cold in the run! I wish they were in the coop like I'd planned but oh well.

**On a side note...I think my Black Australorp is thinking about being broody. She was in the nest box on eggs laid by other hens when I checked for eggs at 9am, and was still there at 1:30pm when I got home from church! Maybe I can get some white egg laying chicks for her at Reber Ranch on the 1st. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by