Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Sudsy Chick

Sudsy Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Looking for (quantity two to four) day-old bantam chicks, or soon to hatch bantam chicks (for Frodo who has been sitting for two and a half weeks now.) Anyone? :)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  2. Breshcandra

Breshcandra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Granite Falls, WA
    I can't help with that. I just got a broody. She has been sitting for only a couple of days.

3. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

OK so now the guessing game begins. Yesterday DW came in from the LF coop and had a small tan egg. SO now to figure out who it came from. I have 6 hatchery birds that are POL. There's 4EE's and 2 cuckoo maran. But EE's lay blue / green right and Cuckoo lay dark brown right. Well this may be a good example of what ya get from hatchery birds.

And on another subject. See IF only they would have listened to Chicken Little when he said

[​IMG]

THE SKY IS FALLING THE SKY IS FALLING ! ! ! !

4. Zgoatlady

Zgoatlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Enumclaw, WA
    My Coop

When our house got inspected my husband and I walked with the guy and asked lots of questions... I think if you have something in writing that has been done you can go after them, that's what I have been told. Our place need a new roof so we had them take money off and we put one on. It's so not nice when you have a dream and p people walk all over you.

5. Breshcandra

Mar 11, 2010
    Granite Falls, WA
    EE can lay tan eggs. They are a mix breed so you getto be surprisef when they start laying.

6. Zgoatlady

Mar 20, 2009
    Enumclaw, WA
    My Coop

Cream Legbars have only been in the US for two plus years, they not only lay the blue eggs the are auto sexed at birth so the pulleys are one color and the little boys another. That's one of the reason I got them so when people get chi c s from me I can gov e them what they want, it's really good for city folks who only have pulleys.

7. Zgoatlady

Mar 20, 2009
    Enumclaw, WA
    My Coop
    OK so now the guessing game begins. Yesterday DW came in from the LF coop and had a small tan egg. SO now to figure out who it came from. I have 6 hatchery birds that are POL. There's 4EE's and 2 cuckoo maran. But EE's lay blue / green right and Cuckoo lay dark brown right. Well this may be a good example of what ya get from hatchery birds. And on another subject. See IF only they would have listened to Chicken Little when he said [​IMG] THE SKY IS FALLING THE SKY IS FALLING ! ! ! ! EE can lay a number of colors, the Mariana can start off light and than get darker.

8. Zgoatlady

Mar 20, 2009
    Enumclaw, WA
    My Coop
    Ok I'm on my kindle right now and it types what it wants I guess sorry

9. TacomaFarms

TacomaFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    What do I do with the eggs that quit?

Also, I read that you can give birds broken eggshells for calcium (like oyster shells), but not to give them eggs from hatching b/c they can go cannibal. Is this true even if you wash them?

Sometimes I'm not sure I comprehend what people are saying. [​IMG] What do these mean:
    DH, DW, DD, DS, LF (large fowl), OEGB (old english game b...?), POL, SS (fav engine, I mean speckled sussex?)

Do birds behavior change when they start laying? My EE seems much more friendly and approaches me now, since she started laying. and she squats when I pet her but her shoulders go really high up, she looks like shes going to take off in flight but she's under some kind of vulcan mind meld or something, so she just sits there. [​IMG]

10. Breshcandra

Mar 11, 2010
    Granite Falls, WA
    I throw mine away. They are not good eating and may have already started to spoil.

DD is dear daughter DW is dear wife...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by