Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Oct 19, 2012.

1. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    Thanks for that. I'm going to have that song in my head all day now.
    I think my daughter knows your daughter. Mine is younger than yours, but she's friends with Emmy and Maddie T.
    I must have been lucky. I've used my real estate agent three times: to buy a house, later sell that house, and then buy again. She talked us out of making an offer on a few properties by bringing up potential issues or problems that we hadn't noticed or thought of.

2. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

Thank you. YES that was exactly my point. Intended mostly for newer peeps who my not be aware that those Feed store / hatchery birds you buy as Ameraucana are really just EE's and could lay most any color.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

4. Slinglings

Slinglings Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2012
    Seattle 98125
    She is treating you like a rooster and waiting for you to mate with her :)

5. Slinglings

Slinglings Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2012
    Seattle 98125
    I have a tendency to make kissy noises at my animals, and several of my hens have been conditioned to squat when I make kissy noises their direction. It's just started in the last few days. First Buffy, then Blanche and now Coco... It's so funny..[​IMG]

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

And, of course, you must ruffle their back/tail feathers. [​IMG]

7. Lutefisk

Lutefisk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    please! Especially the kitchen we're starting to plan a kitchen remodel so looking for ideas. Thanks and good luck with the house hunting/buying!

8. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    I toss eggs that quit.

Eggshells get crumbled and go to the garden now since they break down and add calcium. The girls get oystershell since they can turn that into useful eggshell for the garden. [​IMG] They do like crushed eggshells better usually.

I love the look on their faces that first time they involuntarily squat. Panic and the desire to run and that look of "help I can't control my own body." Mine all eventually get over it and don't squat for me unless I come up on them just right.

9. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    Never feed whole eggs to your chickens. They know it's an egg and when they see something that looks like it again they'll go after it again. Feeding crushed shell is fine, and feeding scrambled or cooked egg is fine.

DH= dear husband, or **** huband DW=dear wife or **** wife DD= dear daughter DS=Dear sun
    The rest i'm not 100% I usually take a guess based on the context.

I have 3 chickens that do that squat thing. It's what they do when a top ranking hen pecks them. So you are the highest ranking hen. Congrats on being top of the pecking order. It also means when you reach under those hens even while broody they are less likely to peck you.

10. Lutefisk

Lutefisk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    gluten-free/paleo (plus wine and cheese) and low carb here... We do like pizza occasionally but generally have it home made so we can be sure of the ingredients. A couple times per year we cook up a bunch of 8" GF crusts in advance, set out a large variety of toppings and invite friends over to build their own. Everyone gets a pizza they can eat, from the vegetarian to the anchovy-loving paleo (me). And everyone loves the crusts, they come out thin and crisp on the edges and firm-chewy in the middle. People are surprised to find out they are gluten free.

The only place we get pizza out these days is La Gitana, a new place on Capital blvd between Legion and 5th. Wonderful GF crust. Spendy but worth it. Adding in the buffalo mozzerella and truffle oil turns a pizza into an amazing thing, but whoa $$$.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by