Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

[COLOR=0000CD]Well I am really bad about not getting to excited when it comes to getting a new home. But I am riding on the idea that no one else will want it because of how much work needs to be done. IF we get this place, a big moving day party would be so cool to do. I know before with one of the other houses I posted on here that I wanted someone brought up the idea of a house warming party/pot luck with everyone![/COLOR] [COLOR=0000CD]So I have a few more pics I would love to share......[/COLOR] [COLOR=B22222]Here I am standing in the "second living room" looking threw the foyer, threw the living room and into what I think will be the bedroom for DH and I. The dinning room is to my right where you see Maxx.[/COLOR] [COLOR=B22222]The front door in the foyer. Funny, cause there is no walk way or anything leading to the front door out side.[/COLOR] [COLOR=B22222]Standing with my back to the front door. You see the living room to my left, stairs leading to upstairs bedrooms, the kitchen forward on the right (that is where I want a wall for the pantry), and "second living room" to my left.[/COLOR] [COLOR=B22222]Living room[/COLOR] [COLOR=B22222]This odd little area is off of the living room. It is about 4ft by about 9ft. I will put the dog beds there year round until Christmas and then that is where the tree will go![/COLOR] [COLOR=B22222]Entering "our bedroom" off of the living room.[/COLOR] [COLOR=B22222]The back side of the living room fire place. If you look up to the right corner of the brick work, you can see that we are able to put a wood burning stove in our room.[/COLOR] [COLOR=B22222]Now lets go upstairs..... This is apart of the original 1902 house. You can see one of the attic openings.[/COLOR] [COLOR=B22222]Looking down the stairs, you can see to the left, the second and third bedroom.[/COLOR] [COLOR=B22222]Here is the first bedroom.[/COLOR] [COLOR=B22222]The second bedroom.[/COLOR] [COLOR=B22222]This is the third upstairs room. Maxx refuses to accept that this would be his room, because he says it creeps him out. Referring to the black hole that leads into the attic. [/COLOR] [COLOR=B22222]There is also a little linen closet to the right.[/COLOR] [COLOR=B22222]And I love that it has what looks like a barn door.[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000CD]I have a few more pictures, but they are of the Awesome paintings that the last people to live here painted on the walls in some of the rooms. But I feel like I am hogging the thread so I will not post those unless asked. I hope I am not the only one that likes the old charm of this home, the upstairs is my Favorite part.[/COLOR]
The more I see the more I like it. I wouldn't worry about Hogging the thread though. Move in helper pizza then pot luck later! First things first ! Lol

[COLOR=0000CD]Sweet thanks, I love sharing it helps with my excitement![/COLOR] [COLOR=0000CD]Here they are......[/COLOR] [COLOR=B22222]This fist one is on the wall in one of the downstairs HUGE bedrooms. There are also perfect flowers painted around the window, but I did not get a good picture of those. [/COLOR] [COLOR=B22222]These next few pictures are of one big painting that takes up one whole wall and the ceiling in the other HUGE down stairs bedroom.[/COLOR] [COLOR=B22222]See the clouds?[/COLOR] [COLOR=B22222]This one is in the "second living room".[/COLOR] [COLOR=B22222]These people had some talent! If I could find out who they were I would hire them to paint a wall in each of the kids rooms.[/COLOR]
The paintings are awesome in a its weird on the walls sort of way.

gluten-free/paleo (plus wine and cheese) and low carb here... We do like pizza occasionally but generally have it home made so we can be sure of the ingredients.

The only place we get pizza out these days is La Gitana, a new place on Capital blvd between Legion and 5th. Wonderful GF crust. Spendy but worth it. Adding in the buffalo mozzerella and truffle oil turns a pizza into an amazing thing, but whoa $$$.

I'll have to try them. My favorite pizza is the Strada Sussina at Casa Mia, but sadly, it's not gluten free.

Would you mind sharing your GF crust recipe? I've tried a bunch of the mixes, but haven't really found one I like. They all have xantham gum, too, which does bad things to my stomach if I eat too much of it.

People, fad diets are just that, if you have to eat because of a medical condition, do take care who you believe. If you do so because of personal beliefs, you already understand what is needed to supply your needs. Paleo deits are a joke. What is, however, missing in true paleo diets is additives and food colorings. And if you check, you might find all the food allergies seem to appear with fast foods and twinkies

I don't know anything about the Paleo diet on particular, but I really think the key to being healthy is to eat in moderation and avoid processed foods as much as possible.

Believe me, I would not be gluten free if it didn't make me miserable to eat it. Some days I crave a fresh baked loaf of bread. It's hard for me not to go down to the Bread Peddler and eat a whole baguette by myself.

That's funny they're good friends of ours and neighbors. How does your daughter know Maddie and Emmy?

My daughter Abbie has known Emmy since first grade. They play sports together and are in the same grade at Griffin. I've heard Abbie mention Mikaela's name when I've asked her who was at sleepovers. :)

Well I am really bad about not getting to excited when it comes to getting a new home. But I am riding on the idea that no one else will want it because of how much work needs to be done. IF we get this place, a big moving day party would be so cool to do. I know before with one of the other houses I posted on here that I wanted someone brought up the idea of a house warming party/pot luck with everyone!
So I have a few more pics I would love to share......

Here I am standing in the "second living room" looking threw the foyer, threw the living room and into what I think will be the bedroom for DH and I. The dinning room is to my right where you see Maxx.

The front door in the foyer. Funny, cause there is no walk way or anything leading to the front door out side.

Standing with my back to the front door. You see the living room to my left, stairs leading to upstairs bedrooms, the kitchen forward on the right (that is where I want a wall for the pantry), and "second living room" to my left.

Living room

This odd little area is off of the living room. It is about 4ft by about 9ft. I will put the dog beds there year round until Christmas and then that is where the tree will go!

Entering "our bedroom" off of the living room.

The back side of the living room fire place. If you look up to the right corner of the brick work, you can see that we are able to put a wood burning stove in our room.

Now lets go upstairs..... This is apart of the original 1902 house. You can see one of the attic openings.

Looking down the stairs, you can see to the left, the second and third bedroom.

Here is the first bedroom.

The second bedroom.

This is the third upstairs room. Maxx refuses to accept that this would be his room, because he says it creeps him out. Referring to the black hole that leads into the attic.

There is also a little linen closet to the right.

And I love that it has what looks like a barn door.

I have a few more pictures, but they are of the Awesome paintings that the last people to live here painted on the walls in some of the rooms. But I feel like I am hogging the thread so I will not post those unless asked. I hope I am not the only one that likes the old charm of this home, the upstairs is my Favorite part.
fair warning !
Since this is such an old home, and seems to have a multitude of add ons, go look at the electrical !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Look at the breaker panel...is it up to code ?
Some old homes still have post & wire strings...very dangerous especially since additions have been made.
If at all possible, I recommend you have an electrician look at the wiring....and see if it has been upgraded or if it is still old, or old with additions.
It is very expensive to replace !!!
Good Luck !!!!!!!!!!
frow.gif

Edited to add: I have been wiring & studying the new codes past last Jan....it is a mild nightmare, but absolutely NOTHING compared to re -wiring a home this old.
Code now says an electrical outlet every 6 feet in dwelling areas, and every 10 even in hallways, bedrooms must be on AFCI circuits, and any within 5 feet of a damp location must be on a GFI circuit...loads are another issue, especially dangerous if additions have been made over the years to the existing load panel.
Overheads coming in from power poles designed for a small home (in 1920 ?) could possibly have to be updated to a larger supply wire.
Bedrooms I see in your pictures have little or no outlet plugs that I can see....I'd seriously consider the wiring issue as you decided on the purchase.
I am sure a few others on here can help you further...just be careful to avoid a dangerous and potentially costly money pit !!

Last edited:
Now I gotta go back to wiring my house......................and put in Tamper -resistant plug outlets in each recepticle....and Tamper-resistant GFIs on all boxes within 5 feet of water...and the exterior boxes must be Tamper-resistant, "weather proof" and GFI.................the difference between 2012 electrical outlets, and 2013 (for our house) has been $130. and the breakers (AFCI circuit breakers required in all bedrooms and hard-wired smoke detector & CO2 systems, are $50 to $80 each instead of the regular circuit breakers that are a few dollars !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Imagine all those $2 and $3 circuit breakers are now $50 each !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rant.gif

There is supposed to be yet more updates to the electrical code next January...we gotta finish this house before then !

We also must have a "whole house ventilation system" which involves a 4" fresh air inlet in each bedroom & living area, and a main house fan (not a bath or kitchen fan) that can cycle on its own, and completely disperse outside, all the cubic feet of air in your home, in a 24 hr period....that said, the fan kicks on & off, and creats a negative "vacuum" in the home, which opens up the little vents, and lets freash air in...and the fan thermostat is designed per the sq ft X the CFPM of the fan...a smaller fan would run longer than a big fan...and hopefully not suck out all the heat in the home !!!!!!!!!!

On that note:
NO ONE sells the parts needed to do this installation in the state !!!
Canada does, Europe does, but HVAC people here have NO IDEA what it is, yet it is required by code.

he.gif
It just ain't fair I'm telling ya !
somad.gif
back to work I go.........................Ok enough ranting from me~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why is it being sold? Why does there seem to be so much unfinished work in that house?

I understand the excitment of buying a "home" but as others have posted, be very, very pencil sharp and skeptical. Have everything checked and make sure you check the ones doing the checking.

This place (in my opinion) would have to be far,far, below market value to make it doable.
Hopefully all will go your way and you turn it into that dream house you want. It's certainly large enough.
Do you have a contractor lined up to do the heavy lifting? Could he give you an estimate of cost to do what you don't/can't want to do?

Why is it being sold? Why does there seem to be so much unfinished work in that house?

I understand the excitment of buying a "home" but as others have posted, be very, very pencil sharp and skeptical. Have everything checked and make sure you check the ones doing the checking.

This place (in my opinion) would have to be far,far, below market value to make it doable.
Hopefully all will go your way and you turn it into that dream house you want. It's certainly large enough.
Do you have a contractor lined up to do the heavy lifting? Could he give you an estimate of cost to do what you don't/can't want to do?
Thank you for the advice. My DH and many people in our family have been in construction for many years and plan on going over this house with a fine tip comb. The house is listed at $27?,.000.00 we think because of the property it is 6 acres right off of State Route 92 in Lake Steven. But we will be offering much lower than that.
With DH being in construction, he has a lot of contractors that owe him favors and we will be getting bids from all of them. That means many trips out to that house for me.

I could use some prayers and good thoughts please. DH just got a call from his PC Dr with the results from his MRI he had Friday. They basically said he has 4-5 major issues going on, from mid to lower back, and he needs to talk to a neurosurgeon about surgery. They were really surprised that he was up and moving at all! Very scared about what this all means. Trying to get an appt scheduled now.
hit.gif

We also must have a "whole house ventilation system" which involves a 4" fresh air inlet in each bedroom & living area, and a main house fan (not a bath or kitchen fan) that can cycle on its own, and completely disperse outside, all the cubic feet of air in your home, in a 24 hr period....that said, the fan kicks on & off, and creats a negative "vacuum" in the home, which opens up the little vents, and lets freash air in...and the fan thermostat is designed per the sq ft X the CFPM of the fan...a smaller fan would run longer than a big fan...and hopefully not suck out all the heat in the home !!!!!!!!!!
Wow, now I know why we have a ventilation fan with a timer built in upstairs (which we disabled when we moved in 10 years ago, it was annoying!), and what all those little vents are on the windows downstairs. Maybe we should open the vents and turn the timer back on the fan.

I always wondered why anyone would need a ventilation fan with a timer...

Back
Top Bottom