Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Quote: No, it's not just sentiment. We should try to do the things that we can do, each of us, to protect our planet. None of us can do it all. But if EACH one of us can do a little, maybe just one or two things, it will all help in the long run.

Part of it is in education.The original poster perhaps didn't understand the impact that sphagnum harvesting has on the environment. All I'm saying is that if there is a choice, that we should consider choosing the less harmful one. Perhaps sometimes there is no right way, and it's a matter of the lesser of two evils.

"If you really think that way, may I ask, did you cloth diaper your children, do you use kitchen cloth instead of paper towels, do you use bathroom cloth instead of toilet paper, do you use a menstrual cup and/or cloth pads instead of countless feminine hygiene products? Are you ONLY eating animals who are raised naturally and humanely or do you stop at McDonald's every once in a while and promote eating chemicals?"

yes yes and yes, and far more than that. And no, no fast foods, can't remember the last time I had "junk" in my body.

And yes, I think we all need to stand up and speak about these issues. No, we shouldn't judge each other's chosen lifestyles, but we do need to be accountable, and we can only be accountable if we have knowledge. And if one of us has knowledge that another does not, then we should not be afraid to speak out.
It may be difficult to behave perfectly, but that is no excuse to not even try.
I agree! I do what I can, when I can. And I encourage others to follow their convictions and continue to learn what else they can be doing to help and not burden others. I agree that if you learn that something is wrong somehow, that you should change. And we have! Would *I* use peat moss based on what I've learned today? Nope!

Slinglings - you didn't save $$$ cloth diapering? How!?!?!?!?!? I paid a total of $652 to diaper all 3 of my kids. In sposies, even Costco sposies, I would have paid between $3,500-4,000 to diaper 3 kids. AND, I kept around 15,000 nasty plastic never-disintegrating diapers out of landfills. AND, someone else is now diapering their kids with what I used to diaper mine. CLOTH ROCKS. Same with menstrual products. Same with toilet products. Same with kitchen products.

Quote: No, it's not just sentiment. We should try to do the things that we can do, each of us, to protect our planet. None of us can do it all. But if EACH one of us can do a little, maybe just one or two things, it will all help in the long run.

Part of it is in education.The original poster perhaps didn't understand the impact that sphagnum harvesting has on the environment. All I'm saying is that if there is a choice, that we should consider choosing the less harmful one. Perhaps sometimes there is no right way, and it's a matter of the lesser of two evils.

"If you really think that way, may I ask, did you cloth diaper your children, do you use kitchen cloth instead of paper towels, do you use bathroom cloth instead of toilet paper, do you use a menstrual cup and/or cloth pads instead of countless feminine hygiene products? Are you ONLY eating animals who are raised naturally and humanely or do you stop at McDonald's every once in a while and promote eating chemicals?"

yes yes and yes, and far more than that. And no, no fast foods, can't remember the last time I had "junk" in my body.

And yes, I think we all need to stand up and speak about these issues. No, we shouldn't judge each other's chosen lifestyles, but we do need to be accountable, and we can only be accountable if we have knowledge. And if one of us has knowledge that another does not, then we should not be afraid to speak out.
It may be difficult to behave perfectly, but that is no excuse to not even try.
I agree! I do what I can, when I can. And I encourage others to follow their convictions and continue to learn what else they can be doing to help and not burden others. I agree that if you learn that something is wrong somehow, that you should change. And we have! Would *I* use peat moss based on what I've learned today? Nope!

Slinglings - you didn't save $$$ cloth diapering? How!?!?!?!?!? I paid a total of $652 to diaper all 3 of my kids. In sposies, even Costco sposies, I would have paid between $3,500-4,000 to diaper 3 kids. AND, I kept around 15,000 nasty plastic never-disintegrating diapers out of landfills. AND, someone else is now diapering their kids with what I used to diaper mine. CLOTH ROCKS. Same with menstrual products. Same with toilet products. Same with kitchen products.
So I a going to stick my neck out here, but what about washing these cloth diapers and puting all those detergents in the water? I am sure it added at least a load a day when they were small, right? Some don't use the biodegradable non impact detergents. Just sayin'. I don't think disposables are very good, but either way, it has an impact on the environment. I guess it's just a matter of picking the least destructive.

We still have about 20 cloth diapers from our kids. I love them for the fact they don't scratch things and are lint free. Work great on car windows and glasses. We use them to clean our paintball masks.

So I a going to stick my neck out here, but what about washing these cloth diapers and puting all those detergents in the water? I am sure it added at least a load a day when they were small, right? Some don't use the biodegradable non impact detergents. Just sayin'. I don't think disposables are very good, but either way, it has an impact on the environment. I guess it's just a matter of picking the least destructive.
Most people these days know that washing cloth requires detergents that are gentler and won't cause residue left on the diapers which will put an immediate rash on the baby. We mostly use biodegradable, no-optical whiteners, no brighteners, no bleach, yada yada, detergents. I used Charlie's Soap. Lots of people use All Free & Clear. Or Country Save. They're all septic safe and biodegradable.

Most people these days know that washing cloth requires detergents that are gentler and won't cause residue left on the diapers which will put an immediate rash on the baby. We mostly use biodegradable, no-optical whiteners, no brighteners, no bleach, yada yada, detergents. I used Charlie's Soap. Lots of people use All Free & Clear. Or Country Save. They're all septic safe and biodegradable.
I use Arm n Hammer Free. It is the only detergent I have found to not react with my eczema. And we ALWAYS use WAY less than recommended dosage

Quote:
I use Arm n Hammer Free. It is the only detergent I have found to not react with my eczema. And we ALWAYS use WAY less than recommended dosage

I actually use Tide Free. The normal load size is 3 ounces. We use 1 Tbsp per load. I doubt we're doing any damage. I haven't found anything else that get our clothes clean enough. I WISH I could find a natural detergent that gets my clothes clean. Unfortunately I pay WAY too much money for our clothes to use a detergent that is sub par. Diapers were different. Who cares if the poop catchers have stains!
gig.gif

Quote: We use All Free & Clear. We are on septic so we have to be careful what we put down the disposal, drain, or toilet. And what we wash cloths in. There are just a lot of people out there that think they are doing a good thing, but then are clueless about what type of detergent they should use.

Oh and I forgot to mention, when cloth diapering a newborn full time and a toddler full time, I was still only doing a large load of diapers every other day. When it was just a toddler alone, I'd do 2 loads a week.

Quote: We use All Free & Clear. We are on septic so we have to be careful what we put down the disposal, drain, or toilet. And what we wash cloths in. There are just a lot of people out there that think they are doing a good thing, but then are clueless about what type of detergent they should use.

I am septic here too. I don't allow any feminine products in the toilet. I even have my DW explain this to new females that come over.

I am septic here too. I don't allow any feminine products in the toilet. I even have my DW explain this to new females that come over.

Um...those things should NEVER, EVER be flushed. Even when on city sewage. That's foul!! OR, if you want an alternative, look into menstrual cups and/or cloth pads. I've used a cup for over 5 years and won't ever go back to chemical-filled menstrual products. WHY!!?? would someone put that IN their body to leach chemicals into their system!? Ew. I can't stand the thought of it anymore. I KNOW my body is safe and free of chemicals when using a silicone cup. And I produce NO waste monthly.

Back
Top Bottom