Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Oct 19, 2012.

1. robj

robj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    Olympia Wa.
    I've picked up birds from them nice people and they have great birds. Lots of flavors/ choices I'm gonna head out there on a couple of weeks to get some more goodies!

2. Greg Richardson

Greg Richardson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mikey. If you going to start a garden you might want to invest some time watching this movie.

http://backtoedenfilm.com/#movie

I'm in the process of going this route as soon as I can.
    This movie was made in Washington State.
    I've been doing what he does already with my chickens.

If you think about what he is saying when you walk in the woods and realize how things grow we as a nation really messed things up bad trying to get food to grow faster we actually made it grow slower with less taste and nutrition and now our soils do not hold the minerals etc we need to be healthy.
    I could go on about this but been long day.

Anyone that has a garden or thinking of one I think this is well worth your time.

BTW. This man takes visitors on Sunday afternoon he is in Sequim

3. mikeyb

mikeyb Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Rochester, Wa
    To everyone that responded, THANK YOU very much.
    A lot of good ideas.
    So now it will come down to my energy level, cash available for materials.
    Perhaps I could sell a few things. Time is short.

4. FirewifeJess

FirewifeJess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    Finally borrowed a 3/8" drill bit from my sis and BIL and get to make my nipple waterer!!! DH is charging the drill now :-D

5. cieraphoto

cieraphoto Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2013
    Puyallup, WA

I want to see a picture when it's done! I want to make some for my chickens, but I've never made one.

6. FirewifeJess

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    I bought a 2 gallon bucket from Coastal and 3 nipples from Reber ranch. They're push in style so it should be a breeze! Will post pics tonight or tomorrow :-D

7. robj

robj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    Olympia Wa.
    I you need their contact info pm me I have it

8. FirewifeJess

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    Ok we'll it didn't take us longer than 2 minutes to drill the holes and shove in the nipples! Here's the new brooder waterer for Lucy and the chicks:
    [​IMG]
    And here's the 2gallon, 3 nipple bucket waterer :
    [​IMG]

9. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    What about straw bale gardening? There's a book I've been meaning to buy that's all about Making raised beds out of straw bales. The bales break down into compost after use.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  10. RainMom

RainMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Hobart, WA
    I was comparing notes with the amazing ZGoatlady this evening at Coastal's chicken talk. Of course, there were many people with black coats and brown purses, but I figured it was her because I knew she would be running late, like I was. There were lots of folks there- probably 40 or more? Neither of us won the door prize, but we got coupons for $5 off a sack of feed, for your first 4 bags.

It seems Zgoatlady also likes to scrounge around at the Goodwill at 4-corners, so I was bragging about this wooden "cannister" I found last night- have to show you my $2.50 find!!!- a nice lathed wooden vessel. (Maple?). I'd guess it's 1940's, looking at the lid, but unsure- might be as late as 1960's. I'm a sucker for solid/heavy wood implements and furniture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by