1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Oct 19, 2012.

1. RainMom

RainMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Hobart, WA
    that's actually a great idea for a first garden or if in a hurry- and the bales are nice and big, so you can sit on them while you weed the beds

2. itsren

itsren Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Pacific Northwest
    We did that, too, with the twins. I canceled after a few months, though, because the truck came from Seattle and I live about 45 minutes away. We finally came to the conclusion that we were not helping the environment because there were not very many people on our truck's route, and all the fuel associated, plus the company's heavy use of detergents was probably doing more damage to the environment.

3. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Ritalin is not a sedative. It is a stimulant. Stimulants do not turn people into zombies. Paddling does not make ADD go away. My parents admit to having disciplined me more than all my other (7) brothers and sisters put together. I STILL can't sit still.

4. RainMom

Jan 27, 2013
    Hobart, WA
    it might have to be my chocolate jar [​IMG]. Hard to say- it might end up holding napkins on my dinner table. It might hold a mason jar full of fresh flowers. It might just sit around and look exceptionally craftsman-like, drawing ooohs and ahhhs...

Almost everything in my house is used, was free, bought 2nd hand, gargage sales, etc. I love, love, love buying unique pre-owned stuff. Did you see my stuffed chicken on top of my bookshelf when you were here?

5. itsren

Apr 19, 2012
    Pacific Northwest
    I actually use Tide Free. The normal load size is 3 ounces. We use 1 Tbsp per load. I doubt we're doing any damage. I haven't found anything else that get our clothes clean enough. I WISH I could find a natural detergent that gets my clothes clean. Unfortunately I pay WAY too much money for our clothes to use a detergent that is sub par. Diapers were different. Who cares if the poop catchers have stains! [​IMG]

I don't know if this is "good" or "bad" for the environment, but it works for the cheap-skate in me. I started making my own laundry detergent and it now costs us pennies for huge batches. The initial cost of a box of borax and a box of Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda was about $15, but those two boxes will last 6 months to a year. All I have to buy now for many months will be a new Fels Naptha bar each time I make it. I just bought a new bar, and I believe it was $1.39. Each batch makes two laundry size jugs of liquid detergent. Since I have a front-loading machine, I only use 1/4 cup of the liquid homemade detergent.

Those of you with allergies to soaps - I know they make allergen-free recipes. Just google them, or look them up on Pinterest.

6. FirewifeJess

FirewifeJess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    I tried 7-8 different homemade recipes for laundry detergent Renee and never could find one that for our clothes clean :( I WISH I could find one that would save me money!!!

7. itsren

Apr 19, 2012
    Pacific Northwest
    Between the Borax and Super Washing soda, our clothes are cleaner than when we were using Tide. Did you try making liquid? Many of the recipes call for powdered, and powdered, esp. in a front loading machine, will not dissolve in the washer.

ETA... now if only I could get my grub-monkeys to KEEP them clean. Most are dirty within minutes of them getting dressed. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  8. RainMom

Jan 27, 2013
    Hobart, WA
    Hey- I made that recipe once- and the Fels Naptha was just tooooo strong smelling for my son. I have used Fels Naptha since I was a kid, but store it in a ziploc-stye bag now. I need to get un-lazy about making homemade laundry soap and get it done. I even saved bottles to store it in once, then tossed them as we were trying to move. I have everythign except the bar soap that you grate. (I use the Arm & Hammer washing soda for making tie dye with my son.)

Fels Naptha story: Growing up, we used to visit my gramma on the Oregon Coast (Rockaway Beach). Once, the 5 of us kids were at the beach house with my 2 cousins, so 7 of us. We are all out back talking potty talk, and unbeknownst to us, gramma was washing dishes and the window that overlooked the back yard at the cabin was cracked. She walked outside wiht Fels naptha lather on both hands, had us line up- oldest to youngest and gave us all some soap in our nouths-( oldest got the most) OMG- that is seriously nasty tasting stuff.

9. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state

Yeah, this is true. ADD meds are actually amphetamines.

I was diagnosed with ADD as an adult, because the chaos that had become my life was affecting my marriage. I got through school and college fine (although it took me 10 years to get my BA), because I was smart enough to do well without having to study, but man, I wish someone had diagnosed me earlier. I may have been able to focus enough to actually do what I wanted to do with my life. I was the one in my family that was always in trouble, too.

Adderall and Ritalin have been kind of demonized in the media, I think. That's not to say that kids aren't over diagnosed these days. Still, unless you know what an ADD brain feels like on and off the meds, it's hard to understand. The best way I can think to describe the ADD thought pattern is that it's like a radio playing and someone keeps changing the station - on a bad day, like every 30 seconds. The Adderall stops that.

10. RainMom

Jan 27, 2013
    Hobart, WA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by