Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Oct 19, 2012.

1. KMHunter

KMHunter [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Cr

Jun 12, 2009
    Woodinville,WA
    My Coop

2. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    I've been getting felled trees from a guy who only takes down trees that are potentially problematic.
    Some I use for firewood and some are being aged to resaw for lumber projects.

Here is the last load...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This pile is a honey locust tree. The twiggy stuff goes through the chipper/shredder to make bedding in the chicken run.
    Except for the hickory tree that came before. That debris was shredded for the smoker. Hickory smoked chicken in the fall. [​IMG]

3. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    I had 13 eggs from my mom and am down to 8. First time candling there was only one that was a blood ring, then yesterday several had it. Not sure what happened.

4. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Like I said before, the egg crate mattress pads are great sound absorbers.

5. RainMom

RainMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Hobart, WA
    It breaks my heart too- seriously. Since it was already down, we are grateful for the firewood and for the parts that are larger, they will adorn our property in the years to come. Hoping the seeds will grow- I could not "see" the seeds, instead, we just planted the whole pinecones. Redwoods have really small pinecones- about the size of a macadamia nut. We put a dozen of them in a flower pot- and will see what grows.

Where in Kitsap are you?

6. BantyChickenLuv

BantyChickenLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon
    Oh, I must have missed your post, sorry. Our plan right now is to build a small area in the coop that's almost completely soundproof (I say almost because the area will need ventilation). And put him in at night and take him out at a reasonable hour during the morning. Think that would work?

7. mikeyb

mikeyb Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Rochester, Wa
    I could be wrong, but doesn't the cone have to open to spill the seeds b4 they can take root?

8. TurtlePowerTrav

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    We adopted a rescued Cattle Dog mix today. Looks like he has a little greyhound and pit in him, but he is all cattle dog. Loves to herd. He ran at the chicken run and when the chickens freaked out he just went the other way, so no strong prey drive toward the chickens. He was interested in the chicks in the tractor, but was redirected easily. It wont be too hard to train him to ignore the chickens. Funny thing is his name, Rooster. He loves being with people. He even got our Aussie to come inside an hang out for a while(he doesn't like being inside).

I got the one chick hatched today, picking up a bantam Splash Laced Red Wyandotte tomorrow and the 2 SFH's and 2 CCL's when they hatch, tomorrow or Tuesday.

9. TurtlePowerTrav

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Here's Rooster[​IMG]

10. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    he's cute. he has the same build as a Australian cattle dog/pitbull mix i had years ago. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by