Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

It breaks my heart too- seriously. Since it was already down, we are grateful for the firewood and for the parts that are larger, they will adorn our property in the years to come. Hoping the seeds will grow- I could not "see" the seeds, instead, we just planted the whole pinecones. Redwoods have really small pinecones- about the size of a macadamia nut. We put a dozen of them in a flower pot- and will see what grows.

Where in Kitsap are you?

I'm in Poulsbo out by Suquamish. There used to be a lot of Pope and Talbot property out here with big woods in the 70's. Those are long gone now and $$$ homes where they used to be. From what I have gathered I think my property was last logged in 1935 as we had a seed tree marker from that time period on a tree and our largest tree is 10' 4" in circumference.

That's what he is, maybe with some greyhound in him, he is longer than he should be for both Australian cattle and pitbull. He is a sweety. Fits right in here.

mine was born deaf and went blind at 3 years old. But he was so great. Somewhere I have pictures of him nibbling on a cows neck and licking the cows nose. Before he went blind if a cow got away from me on the lead he'd run and grab the lead to bring it back. He was so smart. I think your dog will be extremely smart as well. just remember though ACD's think for themselves. Don't let him get bored.

I am somewhat upset, but I saved a lot of money. Let me explain.

I have bought seeds from Burpee on a number of occasions and what I got did ok, at least for me.
Since I do little gardening and none the 10 years I was not that suprised when I saw the increase of prices on the Burpee site catalog. To make the long story short, I wrote out my list and it came to about $52 bucks.

I had to go to Walmart this evening to pick up a prescription and while there I decided to look at what they had in the seed line. Lo and behold there were the Burpee seeds. My cost was $21 bucks. Saved money but don't understand why the price was so different. You would think that by buying direct you would at least pay what local retail wa asking or even less. Puzzle me?

I have some interest in the genetics of chickens, for breeding, hobby increasing egg size. Not that I will pursue it, but I find it interesting and know little or nothing about said subject. Did find the following, what say the rest of you?

http://www.utilitypoultry.co.uk/eggcolour.shtml

From Scotland I believe.

Interesting. Especially the part about the blue egg turning lighter because of the pigment issue. My EE's sometimes have eggs that are almost white. I was wondering why and this tells you.

I could be wrong, but doesn't the cone have to open to spill the seeds b4 they can take root?

I believe you are correct on this... that's why fire does an excellent job restoring forest land. When Yellowstone caught fire a few years back, they let it burn for that very reason. Now they have new growth where there was nothing.

Has anyone heard from ChickAudie or have contact info? If you do, please PM me. I have chicks for her and it looks like she hasn't logged on in 3 days. I'm hoping to get these to her by Tuesday at the latest.

ETA: She's not responding to PMs. And... I don't want to get attached to these chicks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom