Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Oct 19, 2012.

1. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop

2. LaughingFeather

LaughingFeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Kitsap, Washington
    I'm in Poulsbo out by Suquamish. There used to be a lot of Pope and Talbot property out here with big woods in the 70's. Those are long gone now and $$$ homes where they used to be. From what I have gathered I think my property was last logged in 1935 as we had a seed tree marker from that time period on a tree and our largest tree is 10' 4" in circumference.

3. mikeyb

mikeyb Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Rochester, Wa
    I have some interest in the genetics of chickens, for breeding, hobby increasing egg size. Not that I will pursue it, but I find it interesting and know little or nothing about said subject. Did find the following, what say the rest of you?

http://www.utilitypoultry.co.uk/eggcolour.shtml

From Scotland I believe.

4. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    mine was born deaf and went blind at 3 years old. But he was so great. Somewhere I have pictures of him nibbling on a cows neck and licking the cows nose. Before he went blind if a cow got away from me on the lead he'd run and grab the lead to bring it back. He was so smart. I think your dog will be extremely smart as well. just remember though ACD's think for themselves. Don't let him get bored.

5. mikeyb

mikeyb Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Rochester, Wa
    I am somewhat upset, but I saved a lot of money. Let me explain.

I have bought seeds from Burpee on a number of occasions and what I got did ok, at least for me.
    Since I do little gardening and none the 10 years I was not that suprised when I saw the increase of prices on the Burpee site catalog. To make the long story short, I wrote out my list and it came to about $52 bucks.

I had to go to Walmart this evening to pick up a prescription and while there I decided to look at what they had in the seed line. Lo and behold there were the Burpee seeds. My cost was $21 bucks. Saved money but don't understand why the price was so different. You would think that by buying direct you would at least pay what local retail wa asking or even less. Puzzle me?

6. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop

7. LaughingFeather

LaughingFeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Kitsap, Washington
    Interesting. Especially the part about the blue egg turning lighter because of the pigment issue. My EE's sometimes have eggs that are almost white. I was wondering why and this tells you.

8. walady944

walady944 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2012
    Federal Way, WA
    thanks so much for the tips on using grit for the babies; wow, I am learning so much. Just don't want to do the wrong thing!

9. itsren

itsren Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Pacific Northwest
    I believe you are correct on this... that's why fire does an excellent job restoring forest land. When Yellowstone caught fire a few years back, they let it burn for that very reason. Now they have new growth where there was nothing.

10. itsren

itsren Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Pacific Northwest
    Has anyone heard from ChickAudie or have contact info? If you do, please PM me. I have chicks for her and it looks like she hasn't logged on in 3 days. I'm hoping to get these to her by Tuesday at the latest.

ETA: She's not responding to PMs. And... I don't want to get attached to these chicks!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by