Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Yeah, but this stuff had actual flour, too. I managed to break the inside of my mouth out something wicked. The only new thing I've had was the Savanna Smiles GS cookies, after reading the lable down to the end: no sunflower seed or oil, no nuts at all, and canker sores all over. I am not well pleased (but am glad I don't have issues with meats (other than pork), gluten or dairy, as that's about all I can still eat, one way or another). Of course given my luck, I've developed a sensitivity to my toothpaste, or something.
By chance are you reactive to sulfur? I can't use toothpaste with any kind of sulfates in it. Cankers in the mouth and antibiotics with sulfur will puff me up like a beekeeper without smoke.
gig.gif
Yeah, I am, badly- but I'd read the label and it was allegedly sulfur-free; I suspect it was the cinnamon oil.

Last edited:
Is that what they're calling BARF (bones and raw foods) these days? Prey model raw is a much more appealing name. ;)

BARF and Prey model raw are totally different from each other.     BARF you feed veggies fruits, and even grains.     Prey model raw is like it sounds...   It's raw meaty bones, and organ meats.   Nothing else.

BARF is basically what a human would need only in raw form.

Prey model is based on what a wild canine would eat.

My dogs helped themselves to fruits in the garden. They can taste sweet. That indicates dogs are omnivores rather than true carnivores.

Yeah, canines, unlike cats, are not obligate carnivores. Wolves, for intance, eat the rumen before any other part of a ruminant prey animal: that's where the plant food is held before the cud is chewed. I can't keep coyotes out of the orchard when the apples are falling, and often watch them with binoculars as they very carefully pick and eat blackberries.

My fifteen and sixteen year old dogs have been on commercial dog food for all that time, along with some fruit and vegetables, and they're... old, active, and not exceptionally smelly?

I got the electrical wired to the new coop today. And got an egg from Elphaba(EE) today, found it in the middle of the run. I also let everyone out to free range today, now that they know that the new coop is home. Even the Silkies got to run around with everyone, no attacking today. I also worked with Rooster on his "play" drive toward the chickens. I am looking forward to meeting everyone at the show, not looking forward to the almost 8hr round trip drive just to hang for a few hours.

I know how you feel, hoping she will make it trough the night.
fl.gif
I had similar experience with our dog, but he ate all the shoulders of poor chicken, needless to say she died, what a horrible death for her. The dog, and I loved him and he was attached to me as well, had to be sold.
Yikes!! Poor chickie! We had a Malamute who would kill chickens any chance she got. We ended up able to build a pretty strong run off the back of a goat stall turned coop and kept her kenneled unless we were right there with her. She passed away last spring, so I decided that I would try chickens again. We have moved in the meantime, so I am starting from scratch on a lot of things. I am working towards sustainable living, at least somewhat. I am not sure how successful I will be, but found a thread on here that has some really great info. Starting with chickens, next will probably be pork, unless I find a great deal on a couple beef cows.

Two things.

First, I am very jealous of you all with free range birds. Mine will have a very large covered run, but I cannot free range due to a couple of bald eagles who reside close by, and a golden eagle who has been visiting lately.

Second, a lot of you have little descriptions of yourselves and your family under your posts. When you are on the profile page, is that the spot where it says coop?

Two things.

First, I am very jealous of you all with free range birds. Mine will have a very large covered run, but I cannot free range due to a couple of bald eagles who reside close by, and a golden eagle who has been visiting lately.

Second, a lot of you have little descriptions of yourselves and your family under your posts. When you are on the profile page, is that the spot where it says coop?

it is on your profile page under the "signature" part. click on the pencil icon

So dummy chick pipped the wrong end. Urgh. It's working it's way around slowly, though.

The other one is in the aircell. I'll keep an eye on them.

Neat to see other Washingtonians and their enthusiasm for sharing! I have had chickens for 2 years now but am new to chatting on BackYard Chickens.

Question...when will a rooster chick begin to show signs of being male?

My flock is down to 3 ladies (from 6 originally) so I got some chicks this spring.
I have 6 chicks in my front room, a buff, a black, a white, 2 brown leghorn and 1 barred rock. My Barred Rock just acts a bit different...It was an eye pecker when I brought it home, but after separating it (with the black) for about 5 days, now all the chicks can get along when together again. But the barred rock tries to escape more, does different body posturing and just makes me wonder about roosters...?
When can I expect to know for sure?

Back
Top Bottom