Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Ha! Hey CR
smack.gif
They have TWO porch lights
gig.gif

Thanks SarahKatie! My dad's The Man
lol.png

Here's from the side where the nest boxes are, I just wanted to show everybody how I set it up near the walk way so I didn't have to get muddy feet
clap.gif

Please note the fresh poop on the roof....
duc.gif
daggum other birds!!

Ha! Hey CR
smack.gif
gig.gif

lol.png

Here's from the side where the nest boxes are, I just wanted to show everybody how I set it up near the walk way so I didn't have to get muddy feet
clap.gif

duc.gif
daggum other birds!!
lol
sickbyc.gif
th.gif
at least it looks easy to clean.... ;-)

Ok!! Here's a picture of 'er all out in the yard!!! (Ok, lied, still not 100% done, my dad is going to paint the roofs again when we get a nice SUNNY weekend)
We are renters and didn't want to make a permenant run, so there were these 3 (don't know why 3?) posts in the side yard. I wrapped each end of hardware cloth around a 5' section of fence board and then wedged them under the roof of the coop. We wrapped the posts with the wire, but didn't want to attach it to the posts so we can move the "run" around the yard as needed
yesss.gif

I have a picture from another angle, but for some reason, they don't want to load today...

That is freakin' awesome and adorable!!! Loveit!
love.gif

Ha! Hey CR
smack.gif
gig.gif

lol.png

clap.gif

duc.gif
daggum other birds!!
OK SORRY
idunno.gif
hide.gif
I thought they were planters. Silly me I guess I just need to go to sleep for long while.

I finally got some time to use the computers at school so I thought I would share a cool story about Dash the rooster and my new chicks from the vancouver show.....

So, after bringing home my 4 ameraucana pullets from the show, I left them in a dog crate in the chick pen to get safely aquainted with their new friends(my 10 other chicks who were 4-7 weeks old) while ran up to seattle for saturday evening and sunday. When I got home Sunday about 9:30 I let the 4 girls out and low and behold they were a bit bigger than I thought they would be. Dash, my wheaten rooster from CCG via CarolynF is 8 weeks old, these girls are approx 12 weeks old, all my other chicks are younger than Dash. They immediately started to shove the 'littles' out of thier way to get at food and such. Dash was having none of it :) it didnt matter that they were easily half again bigger than him, he laid down the law and took on all four girls..... They were not allowed to bully his chicks
yesss.gif

This morning when I got out there to feed, Dash had the littles out in the run and the big girls were hanging out in the coop.... every now and then, one of them would very passively come out(sneak out past dash) and check out the dirt next to some littles.... big girl had her tail level, and was clearly not making eye contact with Dash.... then after a min or so, she would start to shove a little and her tail/posture would come up again and Dash would straighten up from whatever he was doing and take a step towards her .... and she would dart back into the coop.

As I have food/water in both places I am not worried about them sorting this all out.... but it is funny/awesome that this is clearly a case of my 8 wk rooster not letting them out of the coop unless they will be 'nice', and not a case of them guarding the coop against the littles.

All four pullets came from Logan Miller in Bend, OR.... He is an 8th grader that is doing really well in showing chickens, Ameraucanas are one of his breeds, he is doing Wheatens and Blacks. So out of the 4 pullets that I got, two are Wheaten and 2 are Black/wheaten crosses that happened when some eggs got miss-marked
idunno.gif
.... so I guess they are technically EE's, although I should get 50% Wheaten when crossed with Dash

I will upload some pictures later today.....

What a sweet story. That Dash sounds like he's going to be a great flock rooster! Nice job Carolyn raising such a good boy.

This is quite the Spring for us- our first full year on this set of 3 acres. We bought 6 laying Rhode Is. Reds last year. They've been through a moult and are laying again. Boy are they opinionated. Boy do they hate being in their area- we increased it and still, the front yard looks totally tasty to them. This Spring we're busy with turkeys and ducks. Since I am the one who stays at home, I get the most fun: cleaning out the little bugger's first homes. We had 6 ducks. Not sure what I did wrong but right now we have 3 mouthy ducks- Khaki Campbells. All 8 turkeys made it so far- these guys are going on 2.5 weeks old. My husband just made a hoop house for the turkeys. He put a tarp over plastic hoops. We'll bring the 250 watt heater out with them when we put them out- right now they are in where it is heated so I found they did not need the heater. Wish us luck! We're in Eastern WA, by the way.

I apparently only made a record of the yellow card Best in Show. It was a Salmon Favorelles Pullet by Michele DiCicco of Washougal, WA. Very nice bird, I tried to get a picture but her beard was wet and she wouldn't pose.

I have pictures of most of the Champion and Reserve of Large Fowl and maybe some of the Bantam classes if people are interested. Ran out of time to take photos of waterfowl.

wee.gif
love.gif

Dave - I have no help, no truck, no strength in my arms due to chronic nerve pain. I cannot pick up anything...needs to be delivered or shipped. I have no help and no strength to paint anything or make modifications like adding hardware cloth, roosts, etc. DH works 100+ hours a week right now. SO, I need something for $200-300 that is READY, in GOOD shape, painted, and perfect for a broody and chicks. Wanna make me something and deliver it? No...really...want to?
big_smile.png
The reason I chose that coop in that material is because it is easy for one person to put together alone, sturdy, won't rot from being set down in the grass or dirt permanently, has a window and 2 levels and plenty of room for a broody and chicks, and the price point is right.

IF ANYONE CAN BUILD (AND PAINT) SOMETHING SIMILAR TO THE AFORE MENTIONED COOP FOR $300 IN THE NEXT 2-3 WEEKS TOPS, I WOULD LOVE THAT BETTER!
FWJess I was a bit worried about the steep angle on the stairway of that coop? For the little peeps at first that is. Is it just my imagination?

Back
Top Bottom