Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I'm growing out some birds right now - when they go out of the brooders, they will have about 411 sq feet per bird. Personal preference.

Lol i dont have that much space or money to build a run with 411sq. Ft. Per bird. Man that must have cost you a fortune! I just keep the birds in the run during the day when i am at work, and on rainy days. The rest of the time they free range about in my back yard. My total property size is .668 acres

Quote: Expensive - very! We put in a 6 wire electric no-climb fence after foxes got my heritage geese. That's how we got into chickens and ducks. The chickens himself bought as "FENCE TESTERS" to make sure the foxes couldn't get in. It's not really a run, it's the whole back pasture! The coop is in the middle of it so they get to free range all day.

I may build some breeding pens next year though - now that I have a couple of breeds I'm interested in. Not sure yet. I really like pigeons, so I'm vacillating a bit. We also have rabbits and goats. I just don't have room for any more freezers! Three bucklings going to freon camp come winter, so we are having to eat a ton of meat right now. And, we just did our year's worth of cornishX. I wish we had 25 acres - that'd be just about right
big_smile.png

Such pretty birds you all are showing.... lotsa little fluff balls!

Hi Rob.... Has your life slowed down any yet since school is out?

I agree, lottsa Good Folks, period.

Aleta: We're all so spread out around here we haven't managed to do a meet up yet. One of our good peeps is laid up with an injury, too. But if you can orchestrate something, be sure to let me know. eta: If you're ever in Silverdale, give me a holler, the coffee pot is always on. SweetMsMisty98... same goes for you!
smile.png
Yeah we've slowed down a little Mikayla's soccer team packed it in and the new team/league the club put her on was with girls two years older and a whole lot bigger so she decided to take the summer off and maybe hook up with a team that plays at her age level in the fall. Now I get to finish the siding and paint the outside of the house. How's your summer going?
Expensive - very! We put in a 6 wire electric no-climb fence after foxes got my heritage geese. That's how we got into chickens and ducks. The chickens himself bought as "FENCE TESTERS" to make sure the foxes couldn't get in. It's not really a run, it's the whole back pasture! The coop is in the middle of it so they get to free range all day.

I may build some breeding pens next year though - now that I have a couple of breeds I'm interested in. Not sure yet. I really like pigeons, so I'm vacillating a bit. We also have rabbits and goats. I just don't have room for any more freezers! Three bucklings going to freon camp come winter, so we are having to eat a ton of meat right now. And, we just did our year's worth of cornishX. I wish we had 25 acres - that'd be just about right
big_smile.png
UGH I have a freezer
droolin.gif
! I want 25 acres too as long as I don't have to mow the grass 5 is too much already. Wonder if i can use electricity to keep the wabbits from eating my peas?

Quote: I have these two in a pen together since they are pets. I may let them hatch out one brood just to see what they look like. I would have to sell as pets since the cockerel has wry tail and it is hard to breed out. But I love his coloring and he is a great lap chicken. Loves to be petted.
He is super cute! I would have him as a lap chicken! She is cute too. What are her faults that make it so you can't breed her? Just curious. :)

Hey there CarolynF and NintreesMom! Sure, why not. I do go south to Silverdale/Bremerton/Poulsbo quite often. Where's Gig Harbor again? Maybe we could meet up someplace. We can share phone pics of birds and decide who's house to 'flock' to first :)

-Aleta G.

I am supposed to deliver a cream legbar rooster to laughing feather in the Poulsbo area in a few weeks. She is more active on FB than here. But maybe we can plan something then.

UGH I have a freezer
droolin.gif
! I want 25 acres too as long as I don't have to mow the grass 5 is too much already. Wonder if i can use electricity to keep the wabbits from eating my peas?
Well, although goats are browser, they are keeping the pasture trimmed - Himself only has to weed-whack the outside perimeter. And, goats are very tasty too!

One touch of the fence seems to be enough to teach animals respect although it took two times for the jughead Airedale . We have a rabbit "escapee" and she stays clear of the fence, so maybe a couple of wires would work for you. I'm thinking of putting some out front so the dog won't go walkabout anymore.

Back
Top Bottom