Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I'd give you eggs, but my stupid rooster isn't doing his job. He's only got a few girls he likes and sticks to them. He'll even ignore the hens in his pen and just wait for days for me to let him out so he can get 'his' girls.
Ah. Now I'm starting to understand the "spare" rooster idea. That must be really frustrating. Have you asked anyone on your breeding thread what to do about that? Worst case, there's a LOT of good advice on the Heritage Large Fowl thread...
barnie.gif
<-- assume that's how you feel?

Ah. Now I'm starting to understand the "spare" rooster idea. That must be really frustrating. Have you asked anyone on your breeding thread what to do about that? Worst case, there's a LOT of good advice on the Heritage Large Fowl thread... :barnie <-- assume that's how you feel?

My mentor always joked about the rule of three, you keep three males because, "one will die, one will be infertile and then you'll have one to breed from."

Baking, duck eggs are for baking. So many of my baker friends swear by them. I don't know what makes the difference but they say it makes a noticeable difference especially in breads and cakes.

They make the best brownies! I don't think I will ever make brownies with chicken eggs again now that I have had them made from duck eggs. I mainly hatch my duck eggs so we don't eat many of them but I may put more asside for eating next season since I had so many eggs from my Australian Spotted ducks and now I have Call ducks too.

My mentor always joked about the rule of three, you keep three males because, "one will die, one will be infertile and then you'll have one to breed from."

Then we'd better up it to four, 'cause the post was regarding a fertile, live, but NOT promiscuous-enough rooster. What on earth?

edited; Hey MumsyII, should I buy 4? I know you are butchering a couple here soon... LOL

Last edited:
Quote:
The brat only mates with two ameraucana hens. I've gotten two purebred daughters from him now. I've had a lot of EE chicks from him. I have 6 week old chicks of his out in a pen right now. 4 are EEs and one is a wheaten ameraucana.

He's a very friendly nice boy, though. He usually comes when I call him and is good at getting the girls to go in the pen. He's a sweet pet, so he's not in danger of me eating him. He just frustrates me.

I have a younger rooster as well, but the hens beat him up still. I'm hoping to get another rooster later.

Hey Western Washingtonians... I've got a 4 month old Silkie rooster i'm looking to rehome as well as a 7 week old purebred Dorking rooster. The Silkie is white, no beard a little skittish but still friendly. The Dorking has tons of personality and isn't crowing yet. I'd be happy to deliver them within a reasonable distance of Seattle or meet somewhere. Thanks!
-Liz

Well, feeling ghoulish and lucky at the same time. A long running second hand place is liquidating... as in 2 rooms of free stuff, and everything else is 50% off the lowest marked tag. So came home with a tiny German iron and cute portable ironing board for my daughter (she loves to mimic grandma, the quilter), 5 of those stacking baskets that make excellent nest boxes, a big sturdy tote(with a mod or 2 would make a great bird transport box), a 15ft roll of clear fiberglass that will help let more light in one of the coops, and make it lighter, an outdoor chair set for the kids, and one of those cool plexiglass bread holders like they have in coffee shops. 10$.
I'll miss the store, though. Always had the most interesting things. Too much competition in the last 2 years. Used to be the only flea market in town, now there are 4 (!) which is ridiculous for a town our size.
They are selling all the book cases and such. Made me wish I had a bigger car!
:)

Hi All, I've been lurking on BYC for a long, long time but thought I would join to be a social chicken. We live in the Lake Joy area of Carnation and have a few chickens (RIRs and Americaunas). I'm looking to increase my flock once I complete my new pen. I like finding out all the WA specific realities. Thanks for all the information, pictures and ideas. John

Hi All, I've been lurking on BYC for a long, long time but thought I would join to be a social chicken. We live in the Lake Joy area of Carnation and have a few chickens (RIRs and Americaunas). I'm looking to increase my flock once I complete my new pen. I like finding out all the WA specific realities. Thanks for all the information, pictures and ideas. John

Welcome from Graham

I have some wheaten and a couple silver ameraucanas, a bunch of easter eggers, and a couple brahmas, rocks, and silkies.

Back
Top Bottom