Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Does anyone know of a turkey breeder in the island/Skagit area? I'm a vegetarian and I really just want to find a loving home for our adopted turkey who just grew a beard and started displaying overnight. We have a flock of all hens and now we're thinking he may not be a good fit. I'm not going to sell him to be someone's thanksgiving dinner, he's less than a year old and we've had him since he was smaller than our pullets. So does anyone know if a male turkey will be an issue with some hens, and if so, should we get him a female or can we find a sanctuary?

I really, really need to put together a photo booth and take good pics of my chickens. That said, thank you to PipsnPeeps for supplying me with these lovely bantam Choc Orps. 2 males, 3 females. These were taken the first day; they hadn't figured out how to go out the pop door yet, so took the opportunity. I love them. They are just as friendly and fun as the split chocolate cockerel and 2 black bantam Orps I've aquired from Berrytangle. These will be my "relax the brain" breeding pool, so I can be anal retentive in regard to my Heritage RIR's. I intend to ignore the Icelandics. Sort of like the Icelanders did. Heh.
Maybe next year I'll have something to show at the APA/ABA and the WFF... :) Instead of taking birds FROM shows!

I really, really need to put together a photo booth and take good pics of my chickens. That said, thank you to PipsnPeeps for supplying me with these lovely bantam Choc Orps. 2 males, 3 females. These were taken the first day; they hadn't figured out how to go out the pop door yet, so took the opportunity. I love them. They are just as friendly and fun as the split chocolate cockerel and 2 black bantam Orps I've aquired from Berrytangle. These will be my "relax the brain" breeding pool, so I can be anal retentive in regard to my Heritage RIR's. I intend to ignore the Icelandics. Sort of like the Icelanders did. Heh. Maybe next year I'll have something to show at the APA/ABA and the WFF... :) Instead of taking birds FROM shows!
My mentor taught me it's only a successful chicken show if you leave with more birds than you took to the show. (Maybe that's why I've had 86+ breeds/varieties and counting in a relatively short 20 or so years?) LOL Would love to see more Reds at the shows so good luck with the project!

Hey! I have a 14 week old Lavender Orpington cockerel that I need to find a home for. I'm asking $15 for it. I purchased the hatching eggs from The Bradley Farm in Tacoma, WA and they hail from HinkJC bloodlines.

In the coming weeks I might have a few more cockerels, sadly. If you have any questions, message me. I can meet you somewhere local.

Thanks!

Brian

Hey! I have a 14 week old Lavender Orpington cockerel that I need to find a home for. I'm asking $15 for it. I purchased the hatching eggs from The Bradley Farm in Tacoma, WA and they hail from HinkJC bloodlines.

In the coming weeks I might have a few more cockerels, sadly. If you have any questions, message me. I can meet you somewhere local.

Thanks!

Brian
I don't know about their Orps, but I wasn't impressed with the Dorkings I got from them; non had good body type, feather colour or size. They looked like hatchery birds to me.

This 15 degree at night weather we've been having is NO FUN!
rant.gif

My mentor taught me it's only a successful chicken show if you leave with more birds than you took to the show. (Maybe that's why I've had 86+ breeds/varieties and counting in a relatively short 20 or so years?) LOL
Would love to see more Reds at the shows so good luck with the project!
NONONONO! My goal is to eventually only leave with FEWER than I came with!!
hide.gif
*Other* people can leave with more... not me!!

Thanks. The only thing I forgot to grab on the way out the door was the show 'key'. I really wanted to ask that young man about the HRIR cock(erel?) that took BB. Bud said just enough to make me curious, but I couldn't leave the birds in the car forever, and my athsma was starting to act up. I will never be able to be a 'barn' chicken keeper, even if I had one. That many birds, pooping and spreading skin and feather dust in the air... As beautiful as they are, I think next time I need a full-on OSHA respirator!

Is there anyone in Jefferson county I should try to connect with who's doing 4h ? I didn't get to go to that fair this year, just heard from the DH that there wasn't much there this time.

NONONONO! My goal is to eventually only leave with FEWER than I came with!!
hide.gif
*Other* people can leave with more... not me!!

Thanks. The only thing I forgot to grab on the way out the door was the show 'key'. I really wanted to ask that young man about the HRIR cock(erel?) that took BB. Bud said just enough to make me curious, but I couldn't leave the birds in the car forever, and my athsma was starting to act up. I will never be able to be a 'barn' chicken keeper, even if I had one. That many birds, pooping and spreading skin and feather dust in the air... As beautiful as they are, I think next time I need a full-on OSHA respirator!

Is there anyone in Jefferson county I should try to connect with who's doing 4h ? I didn't get to go to that fair this year, just heard from the DH that there wasn't much there this time.

You say that now, but that's how it always starts. LOL

I've got my exhibitor list, when I get home I'll PM you the info for the RED guy. I can't keep birds in a big barn either for those reasons, I prefer the fresh air anyway for them and myself.

Hopefully someone else knows about the 4H up there, I have no idea.

Back
Top Bottom