Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I have the breed list and the dates of when the chicks will be delivered. Is it difficult to integrate just one chicken into a group? I'm not expecting anything to happen, and I'm going to hope for all females, but you never know.

From what I've read and heard, it's difficult to integrate just one chicken to a group and more stressful on the chicken, especially if it's a chick. Is your limit due to coop size or to city/neighborhood restrictions? If it's self-imposed due to coop size, I would probably go with 3, since they tend to squeeze together on the roost anyway and not spend much time in the coop.

Chickens die - as chicks, from predators, disease, etc. Last year I had 17 chickens - we culled 2 due to disease, one mean cockerel, one was eaten by a neighbor dog and 2 died from a sudden medical issue - perhaps vent gleet. I bought 2 more hens in the fall and now I'm up to 13. I have had to accept that this will happen with chickens. We are out of town on acreage, but really, all of this can happen in town as well. In fact, we have been told there are no raccoons where we are, but they are all over town (brought in by garbage cans, etc). We do of course have coyote and hawks mostly, and neighborhood dogs to worry about. Thankfully, I rarely see an eagle overhead and we have no bears or large cats where we live.

From what I've read and heard, it's difficult to integrate just one chicken to a group and more stressful on the chicken, especially if it's a chick. Is your limit due to coop size or to city/neighborhood restrictions?  If it's self-imposed due to coop size, I would probably go with 3, since they tend to squeeze together on the roost anyway and not spend much time in the coop.

Chickens die - as chicks, from predators, disease, etc.  Last year I had 17 chickens - we culled 2 due to disease, one mean cockerel, one was eaten by a neighbor dog and 2 died from a sudden medical issue - perhaps vent gleet.  I bought 2 more hens in the fall and now I'm up to 13.  I have had to accept that this will happen with chickens. We are out of town on acreage, but really, all of this can happen in town as well. In fact, we have been told there are no raccoons where we are, but they are all over town (brought in by garbage cans, etc). We do of course have coyote and hawks mostly, and neighborhood dogs to worry about. Thankfully, I rarely see an eagle overhead and we have no bears or large cats where we live.

I am self-limiting, at least trying to :) :) I had a chicken suddenly die from unknown causes also. She was fine in the morning, even laid an egg. That afternoon she was dead. Everybody I've talked to that has chickens says that just happens sometimes. Still sad though. But I guess it's just part of having chickens. I'll probably end up getting three. What's one more? Better than trying to integrate just one chicken. I appreciate everybody's suggestions. I like to try to plan things out but sometimes you just have to go for it I guess.
Now I have to decide when and what I want. Is anybody said Milyer with Rhode island whites or different colored Brahmas? I don't know if color really has anything to do with egg production personality etc.

I've been enjoying the last couple days of sunshine here in the Greater Seattle area. So has my chicken guardian. While cutting firewood with the chainsaw I had an idea of an alternative nesting material. I am not a huge fan of straw for a few reasons. Most of all though it's one more thing to have to buy and have a big stash of sitting around. If you have a sharp/decent chainsaw (and of course use natural bar oil that is NOT petroleum based) you can make "noodles" cutting a piece of wood or branch lengthwise. They work out to be about the same diameter as straw but of course made from whatever wood you are cutting. In my case it was pine and maple. I brought some in tonight just for a picture and to see what other people though of using this as a bedding material. I know many people use shavings as well but I kind of like this better, and it only takes seconds to make more.
Great idea. I like to lay evergreen branches in run, too (see background of your photo). Keeps feet off wet earth a bit.

Hello all! :) I am a fellow Washingtonian and coming summer I will be raising my own chickens for the first time! I am super excited!

Hello all!
smile.png
I am a fellow Washingtonian and coming summer I will be raising my own chickens for the first time! I am super excited!
welcome-byc.gif
What breed(s) are you going to raise? Best of Luck to you!

I love my Plymouth bard rocks, I have 5 and love them they are friendly and give eggs daily. I am probably not the one to speak of rhode islands my 2 where red and such a pesky pair I finally gave them away
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom