Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

What is the purpose of taking away a roos sperm production? If they're SOP, then no babies, if you're preserving a breed, no babies.... I'm very confused, neutering a roo?
It makes them docile, they don't crow or develop other roo characteristics, they keep their beautiful feathers, and they get fatter and stay tender longer so you can butcher them when they are older and bigger but the meat is still tender instead of toughening up like a rooster would.

It makes them docile, they don't crow or develop other roo characteristics, they keep their beautiful feathers, and they get fatter and stay tender longer so you can butcher them when they are older and bigger but the meat is still tender instead of toughening up like a rooster would.

For me, that sounds like a lot of trouble for meat. Cornish crosses get huge and meaty very very quick.

For me, that sounds like a lot of trouble for meat. Cornish crosses get huge and meaty very very quick.
True, I don't want the cornish crosses since they HAVE to be butchered at a certain point or it becomes painful for the bird. With Capons you can butcher whenever you feel like it without their weight having a negative impact on the bird. If you know you have time to process a flock of meat birds all in one day then cornish crosses are probably great, but if you want to maybe do one a week you can raise all the capons together and just pick one out without having to worry about the other capon's meat getting tough or them becoming unhealthy.

True, I don't want the cornish crosses since they HAVE to be butchered at a certain point or it becomes painful for the bird. With Capons you can butcher whenever you feel like it without their weight having a negative impact on the bird. If you know you have time to process a flock of meat birds all in one day then cornish crosses are probably great, but if you want to maybe do one a week you can raise all the capons together and just pick one out without having to worry about the other capon's meat getting tough or them becoming unhealthy.

Interesting. We just usually off our roos or get them to some locals before they get too aggressive.

I got some of those gamma seal bucket lids. They are wonderful! It is so hard for me to get the lids off those plastic buckets that I keep the feed in. But now it is easy. I highly recommend them.
They make a c-handle type lid opener for 5 gallon buckets. Taps plastics in Seattle is where i bought mine. think it was 2-3 dollars….i finally had to get one …..

Then you'll be able to do fun stuff like this!

I have this stuff on my computer, too...but seldom use it except to crop pics that are too big..but I can see you 2 are going to bombard us with funny stuff !!!!! Can't waite !!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom