Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

My quilt inspired needlepoint. I still need to block it, but it's stitched.

Pretty!

I miss doing needlepoint, embroidery, and crochet but... well, I used to do needlepoint, embroidery and crochet all the time, and my hands have problems with the idea these days.

I'm really sad. One thing led to another and we got home late last night from Thanksgiving dinner, just about 8:30.

The first thing I saw when pulling in our driveway was a big grey cat walking in our yard.

I ran out back to the chickens - and the coop door had  somehow got knocked closed before everyone went to bed. So instead of a few birds in the trees- all the birds were in trees.

I fished them all out except Frodo - I could not find her anywhere. She has escaped me and spent the night in the trees before.

I called her this morning - no show.

Still nothing. I've combed the yard and not found any evidence - but it does not look good for our poor little Frodo. I am so sad. :hit

Well, phooey.

Was having a super bad day since had to cancel work on the Tunnel due to the pouring rain never mind all the other things on my list. I decided to run errands and completely spaced it that it was BLACK FRIDAY, which I NEVER do. What a bunch of crazys out there! 'God is Great, Beer is Good and People are Crazy'! Needed to go to Wilco for some farm supplies. I desperately needed jeans and I had been looking online for some kind of discount on my favorite Carhartts with no luck. While at Wilco ended up wandering into the apparel section and SCORED on some really cute cowgirl jeans (much cuter than my favs!) for half off the sale price so much cheaper too! I guess Black Friday wasn't so bad after all. The farm supplies will have to wait. A girls got priorities ya know.

Glad everyone had a great Thanksgiving and dawng, hope your Frodo shows up. :(

I'm really sad. One thing led to another and we got home late last night from Thanksgiving dinner, just about 8:30.

The first thing I saw when pulling in our driveway was a big grey cat walking in our yard.

I ran out back to the chickens - and the coop door had somehow got knocked closed before everyone went to bed. So instead of a few birds in the trees- all the birds were in trees.

I fished them all out except Frodo - I could not find her anywhere. She has escaped me and spent the night in the trees before.

Still nothing. I've combed the yard and not found any evidence - but it does not look good for our poor little Frodo. I am so sad.
hit.gif

Once, one of our Belgians was frightened into the woods by a hot air balloon floating just above our house and was gone for days. She reappeared under the bird feeders one afternoon. I hope that kind of thing happens for you!

If you have not found any piles of feathers, there might still be hope. Have you asked your neighbors if they've seen her?

Last edited:
Quote:
I feed mine grapes occasionally and my on hand treat for them is raisins. They go crazy for them. When I shake up the container to loosen them up, they come running across the yard. I think the concern is them swallowing the grapes whole. I only give them small grapes when I do get them grapes.
Took the words right out of my mouth!
big_smile.png
Grapes are fine if cut up in small pieces or mashed up. Mine love them!

My quilt inspired needlepoint. I still need to block it, but it's stitched.

Pretty!

I miss doing needlepoint, embroidery, and crochet but... well, I used to do needlepoint, embroidery and crochet all the time, and my hands have problems with the idea these days.

I used 5 gauge mesh; 5 stitches per inch, and a relatively big, fat needle. I could see what I was doing, and holding the needle wasn't too bad.

I ran out back to the chickens - and the coop door had somehow got knocked closed before everyone went to bed. So instead of a few birds in the trees- all the birds were in trees.

I fished them all out except Frodo - I could not find her anywhere. She has escaped me and spent the night in the trees before.

Still nothing. I've combed the yard and not found any evidence - but it does not look good for our poor little Frodo. I am so sad.
hit.gif

Sorry Dawn! I hope she shows back up! Keep us posted!

Buy one get one half off sale at Bothell Feed Center!
December 8th 10am-4pm.
Free refreshments,
Free pet goodie bags,
Free Drawings,
Pet costume contest* Win free pet food for 1 year.

Judging 11am-2
Also meet the Grinch!

Everything applys to sale Excluding stock tanks and Timothy bales.
Anyone going to be there? I will and we will see if I can talk DH into letting me take Jazz in the Car.
I see a lot of you had a good Thanksgiving. We decided to stay home and just have the day to our selves. We had one of our own turkeys for dinner! The one that has been attacking me again lately, two birds one stone kind a thing, got rid of the mean turkey and got dinner ready! He was the best, and most moist turkey we have ever had. This year was great and peaceful. But I do miss being able to leave the mess some where elts.
I plan to be there, hopefully early in the day.

Yet another rainy day trying to flood the new chicken pen. The water level is just below the surface of the gravel and I caught the idiot birds drinking nasty poo water from a divot in the gravel, when there is a nice, clean waterer a couple feet away. What is the best way to clean gravel, just wash the poop away? I really need to clean out the brooder but really don't feel up to it today. I'm worn out just sitting in a chair.

I did get some pictures taken when I was feeding the chicks. What do you all think, does Jerk look like a pullet or cockerel? He/she is right around 2 months old. When do the sickle feathers come in?

The salmon Faverolles are looking really ratty.

I'm pretty sure Tikka (on the right below) is a cockerel. His coloration looks odd for a speckled Sussex, but he's just a hatchery bird. I think he'll be pretty though.

I don't think anything is going to get done today. It's gloomy and cold. Right now my husband, son, dog, and cat are all sleeping. I'm tempted to join them....

Jennifer

Quote:
x2

I was wondering if the spectrum was better on one type versus another. We currently have CFLs, incandescent, and LED bulbs in the house depending on where we use it. Eventually all the CFL will be changed out for LEDs. We have the light we used for in their smaller coop when they were young that we're going to strap up to a beam unless I see something I really like at a store.

I don't think spectrum plays into it much. I think it is having ANY light so they can be active. I have 3 in the coop, a 4W nightlight, 75W in yellow shop light from HomeDepot(turned so it is yellow, keeps bugs from coming to the light) and a 300W Halogen shop light on a HEAVY DUTY hook(since it can get hot). I use the 300 for work in there on dreary darker days. The 75 is on a timer to come on an hour before sunrise(gives the 10 week old pullets a chance to get to cover when big kids get off roost), and the 4 for if I go in after dark to check for eggs and everyone is in coop on roost.

Back
Top Bottom