Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I am so sorry DH told me just a little bit ago. I guess he heard it on the newscast tonight. At least his family knows where he is for sure. The not knowing is what would make me crazy. Our hearts go out to you and his family.
hugs.gif

Quote:
You can try rubbing alcohol. I have used it but I still have scale like bugs on my plants. I am thinking about using malathion on them.

Quote:
Give it a nice shower in soapy water, and then bare-root it, spray it down, and repot it entirely. Put a yellow sticky trap in the pot with it so you'll be sure to catch the first sign of reinfestation. Those darned things get just below soil level, and the only way to get rid of them is by getting rid of the soil and making sure there's no hitchhikers.

ARGH- which reminds me, I didn't get my poor naked dendrobium repotted today. I'd do it now except for the whole "don't want to move" part of the equation.

I can so relate to and understand about the need to get things done, and the inability to get moving. I have a lot of days like this.
hugs.gif

Quote:
The critical things are getting the chickens properly housed (which feels possible now, unlike this morning!) and getting my hardy gardenia over to Margo's front porch greenhouse/ giant storm window. The dendrobium is sitting on the kitchen table with the rest of the orchids. I had to fish one of them off the floor again today, and am contemplating getting a teeny-tiny hotwire to keep the kittens from doing any more damage.

I saw Margo's front porch enclosed in, umm.... sheet white plastc.....but was unable to get out of the car, and she not home.
Did she enclose a green house area?
Or just her living room??
hu.gif

A big space for sure!

There's a four-foot-wide on-grade exposed agregate slab between the plastic and the living room windows, which are single-pane aluminum frame 1967 originals, set into a brick wall; what's worse, they are custom windows Dad got cheap (we* built that house for $19,000 including the original cedar roof and Philipino mahogany siding) so there's no easy way to replace them. So she double-wall plastic-covers the front porch and keeps all the tender plants there, heated by the fireplace insert (which I think was a scrounge from one of Mom's brothers: it heated too well for their smaller living room) through the deeply bad windows.

The little hoop-house greenhouse in the side yard is mostly a cat nursery these days; I could have it but nobody will haul it for me.

*Dad as general contractor and lead framing carpenter, his brothers and nephews and Margo and me as crew and hands, Mom as straw boss and office manager. All of the guys were/are either union carpenters or independant home builders, but the roof is still too low-angle and there's no bathroom on the main floor (one down and two up, though). We were supposed to live in it, develop a few lots, and then build over here- then came the Boeing Bust.

Quote:
Give it a nice shower in soapy water, and then bare-root it, spray it down, and repot it entirely. Put a yellow sticky trap in the pot with it so you'll be sure to catch the first sign of reinfestation. Those darned things get just below soil level, and the only way to get rid of them is by getting rid of the soil and making sure there's no hitchhikers.

ARGH- which reminds me, I didn't get my poor naked dendrobium repotted today. I'd do it now except for the whole "don't want to move" part of the equation.

Thanks sweetheart, I knew you'd know.
And remember:
I heard snow level at 100 feet Friday (this was last week) and yesterday they said snow level to 500 feet Friday.
So, moral of the story is do what you gotta do NOW.
I have Lyda rose and her friend , an unknown rose (that was planted here when we got here) potted, and a topping of compost, and in the green house.
I am still thinking I should wrap each large pot in insulation batts (I have some extra pink fiberglass batts)
what do you think of that?
The green house is unheated, but generally is 5-10 degrees above outside temps at night..I do not want their roots harmed.

The insulation bats will certainly help keep the pots from freezing. It also helps to keep them in the largest pot you can. I managed to keep most of my larger pots safe last winter with just a makeshift cold frame.

Quote:

I can so relate to and understand about the need to get things done, and the inability to get moving. I have a lot of days like this.
hugs.gif

I would have gotten a lot more done this morning except the plumbing in the hall bathroom/chick room blew up. We're getting it cleaned now, but I had to get away and sit down for a bit.

As it was, I got a load of towels and one of my dainties washed and on the line, all the animals fed and watered and fed and watered and led about (well, that was just Bacchus, who also did a jolly dance at sunset) and fed again, and did some serious work on the Wyandotte run, and ate and took insulin, et'c, on time, so I figure I did pretty well.

VERY ready for it to be bedtime, but I'm an hour from taking my last shot.

Quote:

hugs.gif

I would have gotten a lot more done this morning except the plumbing in the hall bathroom/chick room blew up. We're getting it cleaned now, but I had to get away and sit down for a bit.

As it was, I got a load of towels and one of my dainties washed and on the line, all the animals fed and watered and fed and watered and led about (well, that was just Bacchus, who also did a jolly dance at sunset) and fed again, and did some serious work on the Wyandotte run, and ate and took insulin, et'c, on time, so I figure I did pretty well.

Well you got more done than I have today. I'm okay with things, as long as the meds are working, otherwise I am not very nice to be around. I tend to get grumpy when I am hurting. I have a hard time knowing when I need the next dose. If I forget and wait to long then I end up have to sit around until the next round takes effect.

Hello Fellow Washingtonians,

I am not sure if this is ok for me to post here, but I thought it would make it more visible because it is more localized. I am also going to post this at the "For Sale" section, so please bear with me.

We are moving out of state and we can't take our beloved chicken pets with us. Please come and buy them.

They are all pure breeds, acquired as hatching eggs for my Poultry hobby and they were hatched in our home in Jan - Mar 2011, so they are all within one year old. (Several are 2 years old from last year's batch but I can point these out to you).

Our Chicken Sale is on Sat and Sunday 19th, 20th November (next weekend). You can email me for our address and to indicate your choice of breed of chickens. I will not hold the chickens for you because this will be on a first come first serve basis. We really need to sell ALL our chickens as there will be nobody here to take care of them, and I will need to sell all, or process the rest for food.

Our chickens free range completely on 1.5 acres, they are spoilt with a heat lamp in their coop, and are given the best Layers Purina Feed or Excel Feed. In addition, we give them kitchen scraps, scratch, boiled eggs, greens, squash, fruit, and corn. We really love our chickens and see them as pets, we love to eat their fresh eggs too. They have been de-wormed in March this year.

We have about 20 something chickens right now, and there are some cockerels and pullets. The breeds include

- Double Laced Barnevelder (pullet) Breeder quality $15 (From Christina Ledford eggs)
- Blue Laced Red Wyandotte (cockerel) Breeder quality $5
- Bantam Blue Cochin (hen) Breeder quality $15 (bought as pullet from Sheryl Butler of Creekside stables)
- Bantam Splash Cochin (hen) Breeder quality $15 (bought as pullet from Sheryl Butler of Creekside stables)
- Standard Silver Laced Cochin (cockerels and pullets) $10 each pullet $1 each cockerel
- Standard Black Cochin (pullets) $15 each
- Standard Light Brahmas (pullets and cockerels) Breeder quality $15 each pullet $5 each cockerel
- Standard Blue Cochin (pullets) $15 each
- Barred Rock (pullet) $5
- Standard Lemon Blue Cochin (cockerel) $15 (very outstanding beautiful boy)
- Partridge Silkie (pullet) Breeder quality $15
- Bantam White Cochin (hen) $5
- Bantam Blue Cochin (roosters) $5

photostream

photostream

photostream

Please email me if you are interested to learn more about our chickens and if you are very serious about buying them. Whether you choose to keep them as pets, or egg producers, or breeding birds is up to you. You can process them for food as they are healthy and organic. No Prank emails please. Please bring your own box when you come to pick out your new chicken pets. If you buy 3 or more chickens, we are willing to provide you with discounts.

Thank you for reading our post.

Sheila

Last edited:
Quote:

Well you got more done than I have today. I'm okay with things, as long as the meds are working, otherwise I am not very nice to be around. I tend to get grumpy when I am hurting. I have a hard time knowing when I need the next dose. If I forget and wait to long then I end up have to sit around until the next round takes effect.

That's the thing about insulin: it works best if you keep to a tight schedule and get enough sleep and a consistent amount of exersize.

At this point, I don't remember not hurting any more, but I was pretty well outraged when I twisted my left ankle, which has been pretty mellow lately. I may have to bring out the vet wrap tomorrow, or at least wear the eight-inch logging boots instead of the five-inch ropers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom