Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
You lucked out on that cockerel from Soggybottom. I hatched 4 chicks from her eggs. Three were gold colored like your Wynona and one was very weirdly marked, lacing is off. Not sure what it is! So many people mess up the Foleys birds because they don't cull like they should. I tried buying hatching eggs from 2 other breeders who supposedly had Paul and Foley lines and I got rid of all of them. The birds I have been working with for several years aren't perfect but so much better than anything I've hatched from other breeders. I'm just going straight to Foleys next Spring for chicks. I'm buying from the source!

Yes, my pullet from her is gold too.
sad.png
I hatched 5 out. Only 1 pullet. 2 splash roo's, 2 blue roo's. I passed the other blue roo on to another local breeder who only had splash.

Quote:
Good. Sounds like your experience wasn't too extreme then. My family has a doctor friend who was sailing around the world with his wife on a sailboat. He would stay in various locations trading medical services for a place to stay, supplies, etc. In one of the villages he tried some of their Kava, but said at some point he had no recollection of getting back to his hut. He's not necessarily a heavy drinker, but he said their Kava was a pretty potent potable!

Looking forward to seeing more photos - sounds like a wonderful trip.

OK, explain how they make Kava??
hu.gif

I was under the assumption it is alot like our Coffee Liquour ? (Kaluah)

"The roots of the plant are used to produce a drink with sedative and anesthetic properties. Kava is consumed throughout the Pacific Ocean cultures of Polynesia including Hawaii, Vanuatu, Melanesia and some parts of Micronesia. Kava is sedating and is primarily consumed to relax without disrupting mental clarity.
Traditionally it is prepared by either chewing, grinding or pounding the roots of the kava plant. Grinding is done by hand against a cone-shaped block of dead coral; the hand forms a mortar and the coral a pestle. The ground root/bark is combined with only a little water, as the fresh root releases moisture during grinding. Pounding is done in a large stone with a small log. The product is then added to cold water and consumed as quickly as possible.
The extract is an emulsion of kavalactone droplets in starch. The taste is slightly pungent, while the distinctive aroma depends on whether it was prepared from dry or fresh plant, and on the variety. The colour is grey to tan to opaque greenish."
From Wiki

To me it tasted a bit like potato water but it was interesting.
smile.png

Quote:
I believe you are talking about Jean Ribbeck? Anyone need a buff ameraucana cockerel? I live in Kennewick, but would have only one use for an ameraucana boy (
sad.png
). Maybe if you post on craiglist with a $5 rehoming fee you could find someone who could use him for something other than dinner.

Jean's buffs are just gorgeous!

Hi! Yes Jean is who we got him from! She is a fantastic lady. We got two Buffs and two Lavenders from her (I couldn't resist the absolutely beautiful color). They are fantastic birds. We have two other red and black Ameraucana's and a RIR. We are so in love with chickens! There is nothing like having a chicken mimic you and snuggle up in your hair.
big_smile.png

Quote:
So you shipped em? Awesome. I thought I was the only one on the peninsula who actually does that.
smile.png

Over here I have over 70 chickens, most of them chicks though. My population moves a lot but my stable adult pop usually is around 40. Most of them share a great big chunk of the wilderness (fenced pasture + trees, shrubs) way out quite close to the National Park.

We've got Marans, Houdans, Brahmas, Sussex, Araucanas, Easter Eggers, Ameraucanas, Polish, Shamos, and Mutts here.

WA 4HMom, I think you mentioned that your DD liked the Faverolles as well, but you were trying to steer her away from feather footed breeds? Just putting in my plug for the Salmon Faverolles sweeties from Cloverleaf. I bought some of her eggs last spring in Stevenson for my first hatch. I am SO glad I did! I couldn't ask for a cuter, funnier bird than either of my Faverolles sisters. If I could breed any birds these would be among my top 3 choices. They follow me around the yard, talk to me constantly, cock their little heads to "listen" when I talk back, and pose nicely for photos. They are the most personable birds I've got other than my Light Sussex/Golden Cuckoo X (as a result of my Light Sussex being bred before I picked her up from CGG.) I've posted their pics before but I think they are so pretty it's worth posting again!
With all the pretty, well bred birds available from our local BYCer's it's kind of hard to limit our choices isn't it? I think that's how I ended up with 10 birds when I only meant to have 4... oops.
hide.gif

love.gif

54793_img_0902-edit.jpg

Ondine and Twila

54793_img_0909-edit.jpg

54793_img_0911-edit-2.jpg

Ondine

54793_img_0912-edit.jpg

Ondine

54793_img_0903-edit.jpg

Twila

Quote:
I still have Bjorn- he's a seven month old splash from Tamara's breeding, a real sweety, and the size of an ox.

Stumpfarmer, I still have William, the black BLRW roo for you. Let me know when you are ready for him. I would like to do one breeding for him but their coop is over full, so whenever you are ready let him know.

Dave, I will be breeding a lot of BLRW's starting in January. If you want to get any chicks from me, let me know. I currently have one splash, one blue and one black roo (the one Stumpfarmer is getting that I hope to get one batch of eggs in from before he goes) over splash/blue hens. So I should potentially end up with roo's of all colors. You can also check with Cowgirlgrace. I got my black BLRW roo from her.

I have 7 BLRW hens, 2 from CCG and 5 from pettec63 (Julie, where did your get them?) so I want to watch blood lines a bit. I hope to be breeding some soon too
smile.png

Quote:
Stumpfarmer, I still have William, the black BLRW roo for you. Let me know when you are ready for him. I would like to do one breeding for him but their coop is over full, so whenever you are ready let him know.

Dave, I will be breeding a lot of BLRW's starting in January. If you want to get any chicks from me, let me know. I currently have one splash, one blue and one black roo (the one Stumpfarmer is getting that I hope to get one batch of eggs in from before he goes) over splash/blue hens. So I should potentially end up with roo's of all colors. You can also check with Cowgirlgrace. I got my black BLRW roo from her.

I have 7 BLRW hens, 2 from CCG and 5 from pettec63 (Julie, where did your get them?) so I want to watch blood lines a bit. I hope to be breeding some soon too
smile.png

Mine are from an assortment of breeders as well, I think over 5 different breeders. But Julie's were from me I think. I know she bought chicks and eggs from me this summer. The only local breeder I've used is CCG. My black roo is from her and my splash roo I got from Monicas who got her BLRW from CCG. So I could get you some from my blue roo breeding pen and they would be no relation. He's from another BYC member in Pennsylvania. Let me know!

Quote:
Oh I do like the Fav's! That would be MY choice! I've said many times if I did have room for another project, it would be them! Thanks for posting the pics! I will have to show them to Meg when she gets home and hope that they pursuade her!!! LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom