Wasps in coop

Afrodigh

Songster
5 Years
Oct 12, 2017
Tennessee
Any tips for keeping wasps out of the chicken coop and run? I haven’t even completed mine and they’re already trying to build nests!

I’m not sure about it, but I think the chickens will take care of the wasps. I’ve heard that you can’t keep bees close to chickens because they will stand at the hive and eat them as they come out.

Mine have never been seen eating need or wasps.
My neighbor keeps bees and I had to set up bee water station away from my coop due to need keeping hens from water.
I have also had to remove big wasp nests from the coop.

I closed every bird out of the coop in the early morning and sprayed the wasp nest. After 20 minutes I removed the nest and cleaned up below it getting all dead/dying wasps and contaminated bedding out.

I let the hens back in 2 hours after applying the wasp and hornet spray. No issues with the birds from it.

Last edited:
We have ground wasps all over here, and I accidentally put the portable run on top of a nest the other day, with my 8 week old chicks. I looked out the window and they were crowded around an area that they had been scratching, and were pecking at the ground...not unusual. I went out later and realized it was a ground wasp nest and they had been eating them as they came up to investigate the scratching. I am curious about the other wasps though, because we have those all over as well as hornets.

The only thing you can do is to be diligent about looking for nests. We get some paper nests every year. Watch under the eaves especially. Spray them as you find them. Keep looking all summer. They don't only build early in the season.
Your chickens won't be able to get at nests above ground, so it is up to you.

Any tips for keeping wasps out of the chicken coop and run? I haven’t even completed mine and they’re already trying to build nests!
I'd spray them then leave the nest structure up there(this can dissuade others from building).
Had to do this while I was building my coop, my daughter was helping and green as she is said "oh no, not dealing with that, where's the poison".

Get them each year and my chickens dont eat them. I use small propane torch and singe them them take the nest and tear it open. The chicks will eat the larvae. Just keep a constant watch. I have had a small nest built in one day. BTW the chickens dont touch the grown dead wasps.

Get them each year and my chickens dont eat them. I use small propane torch and singe them them take the nest and tear it open. The chicks will eat the larvae. Just keep a constant watch. I have had a small nest built in one day. BTW the chickens dont touch the grown dead wasps.
Hmm, got the chickens moved in this weekend so I will have to keep an eye on things. We had been spraying peppermint oil in the corners and I hung paper bags to maybe fool wasps into thinking nests are already there? It’s been raining nonstop so we will see what happens when the sun comes back out...

I used to have many problems with wasps in the chicken coops, barns, garages etc but then I searched online to find out that if you put a football into a brown paper bag and hung it up beside the wasp nest it would drive the little feckers away
It works all the time as wasps don’t like to have their nests near other wasp nests.

Back
Top Bottom