Waste Disposal

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by treehugger5902, Mar 18, 2018.

1. treehugger5902

treehugger5902 Hatching

Mar 18, 2018
    According to the city ordinances (Columbus, Oh), you must have a plan to dispose of the waste produced by the birds. Does anyone have a suggestion on where I can take the waste to dispose of it properly?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Composting may very well be a legitimate plan for waste disposal. Is composting aloud where you reside? Is your coop and run of a size for the number of birds that use of the deep litter method to compost in place would be a reasonable plan? In my case when filing my plans with the city I now live in I included an explanation of the Deep litter method and explained that was my intention for the management of my co-op and run. Having not heard of this approach before they had a couple of questions, but once explained they were right on board and wanted to know more even

3. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Crowing

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    And if hey don't promote composting shame on them .

treehugger5902 likes this.
  4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Yah, composting goes slow some places. And builds up, rots and stinks, never drying out others. Burying it might be an option. I won't because we drink our ground water and my stock load is heavy.

Here... We can legally send our animal waste (dog poo and even dead animals, why not chicken poo), in a trash bag to the dump... either us taking it or sending it out from our can that we pay to have picked up every week.

Good luck in your chicken adventures! :wee

treehugger5902 likes this.
  5. Aunt Goaty

Aunt Goaty In the Brooder

Oct 18, 2017
    Bowdon, Georgia
    Check with neighbors to see if they could use some free fertilizer for flower beds/gardens? Around here (Georgia) the big commercial chicken houses have their chicken litter hauled off to use as fertilizer for the local hay fields.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: