Wasting away - help needed urgently

Thank you! I am going to continue to treat with the antibiotic and will continue to treat for yeast as well. I was wondering if you could provide the actual name of the product from tractor supply you were referring to? The link takes me to an error page on TSC website...probably an issue on my end. I will look for the other one you mentioned, but we don't have a lot of shopping options around here...but we do have a TSC.

I wish I knew more about turkeys medical issues. We currently are incubating some eggs, and I am thinking about vaccinating them. I need to look into what is available. But I'm sure more issues will creep up in the future, and after all this with this hen, and realizing how much I need to learn, scares me now.
I think the link was generated by the site. I had someone pick some up for me once and they bought Dumor Multispecies Probiotics for less than $10. I didn't like it much so if your TSC carries something like invigorate that's just for chicken and turkey I'd go with that. It's less than $5 more and should give you better results.

I think the link was generated by the site. I had someone pick some up for me once and they bought Dumor Multispecies Probiotics for less than $10. I didn't like it much so if your TSC carries something like invigorate that's just for chicken and turkey I'd go with that. It's less than $5 more and should give you better results.
Okay...I am home...but I didn't get a picture yet of her whole body yet. I might have more time to get this tomorrow. However...she had two solid normal looking poops in her "hospital" pen when I got home this evening. (I've never been so happy to see poop before). And her crop was smaller and I could actually feel the food inside. I got Dumor chick starter crumbles just for her recovery. She still has that yellow mass by her vent that I still have no idea what it is. But I hope this clears up with the antibiotic treatment. I am attaching a horrible shot of her vent area. You can see where it is yellow. The vent is right below this yellow mass. I'll try to get better pictures tomorrow.

Thank you so much for all your help! It has meant a lot!!

Reddy Hen.jpg

I can only find two probiotics at our local TSC. Would you be so kind as to tell me which one you would go with? Here are my options...

Durvet Probiotics for Poultry

INGREDIENTS
Dextrose, Potassium Chloride, Vitamin A Acetate, Niacinamide, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Salt, Vitamin E Supplement, Silicon Dioxide, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source Of Vitamin K Activity), Riboflavin Supplement, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried L. Plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried L. Casei Fermentation Product And Thiamine Hydrochloride.

OR

Manna Pro Hydro Hen Poultry Drinking Water Supplement

INGREDIENTS
Dextrose, Maltodextrin, Citric Acid (a Preservative), Salt, Potassium Chloride, Silicon Dioxide, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Sodium Saccharin, Sorbic Acid (a Preservative), Sodium Citrate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Product

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/manna-pro-hydro-hen-8-oz-1030209?cm_vc=-10005

Both of these seem to have lots of sugar and salt and no live cultures. Maybe skip the probiotics for now since you're still administering antibiotics. I'll do a little more research. There may be probiotics made for humans that would work better than either of these options.

Both of these seem to have lots of sugar and salt and no live cultures. Maybe skip the probiotics for now since you're still administering antibiotics. I'll do a little more research. There may be probiotics made for humans that would work better than either of these options.
Thank you so much! How about this one from Amazon?

Probios Vet Plus Dispersible Digestive Powder​

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BM1QRC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

It seems to have live cultures and is for all species.

Thank you so much! How about this one from Amazon?

Probios Vet Plus Dispersible Digestive Powder​

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BM1QRC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

It seems to have live cultures and is for all species.
I'd rather point you toward something specific to poultry. If you get something that works on cats and dogs too it's not going to be as helpful for birds or cats or dogs as a product aimed at birds or felines or canines would be for each of them. I found the distributor for in-Vigor-ate, but the minimum order looks like it's aimed at retail or large producers. I'll make a few calls tomorrow.

I'd rather point you toward something specific to poultry. If you get something that works on cats and dogs too it's not going to be as helpful for birds or cats or dogs as a product aimed at birds or felines or canines would be for each of them. I found the distributor for in-Vigor-ate, but the minimum order looks like it's aimed at retail or large producers. I'll make a few calls tomorrow.
Would plain yogurt be something to try for a probiotic?

And I wanted to thank you again for all your help. She has gotten slightly better, things are moving through her digestive system now and her crop seems to be emptying normally now. However, she is still not 100%. Do you have any idea what this yellow hard mass is above her vent. Sorry for the low quality pictures, I had one heck of time getting a picture of this...so I had to take what I could get.

The part that is above her vent is where it is all yellow (it looks very pale yellow in the picture, but is more of a egg yolk yellow in reality), swollen, and hard. It is not an abscess. I have been spraying Vetericyn Plus Antimicrobial Spray on it twice a day. It doesn't seem to be getting any better or worse over time. When this all started, I checked for egg binding and didn't feel any egg stuck inside her. I am still giving antibiotics.

Reddy Vent.jpg

Well all the egg laying organs are above the vent (it's a gravity assisted mechanism). Perhaps you have some inflammation or swelling there that's producing a bump. If things are moving through her system again and she's still on antibiotics I'd wait a few days and see if it resolves.

Probiotics for people are probably preferable to probiotics for multispecies, although I'd probably still go with something liquid or something that can be mixed into their food. Yogurt seems like it would be clumpy. If it's what's available though it should do some good. I didn't hear back from any of the distributors I called so I can't recommend anything poultry specific. But if you give your turkey bacteria that aid in milk digestion, for example, those bacteria should die out fairly quickly without a food source. So there might be bacteria that would benefit birds that's not in your mix, but you won't introduce anything harmful.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom