Wat sex are these silkies

You have been so much help i appreciate it sooooo much thankyou, im so glad their all girls now i just need to make them all be friends 😊

Is it the comb?
Yeah, the comb looks bright and full, his head looks like a some streamers in the first picture and it stands a little tall in profile. The other bearded one looks more like a pullet to me because of the pom-pom tail and low carriage of the body.

*but who am I to Judge...I had a silkie I thought was boy until she laid a egg! :lau

female.

Sometimes there are hidden genetics.. wrong eye color can happen even in pure bred.

Poor (light) skin coloring is very common in Silkies. Pure breeds get it plenty, and only folks who care select against it and try to maintain breeds true to their original traits.

I see you'll have remind me age and show the standing stance. Are they regular feathers or SIlkied? Wide comb says cockerel, but age is hugely relevant.

The blue earlobes.. is my favorite! :love
I just been on google and i think i might know why the mini silkies have red eyes and light skin feet, their siamese silkies 🤯🤯🤯 i never knew. Do you know anything about this breed?

Last week we successfully hatched one of that grey cock and one of the minatures egg and wat came out was a supppeerrr tiny little ball of fluff in neon yellow (paint chick) with black eyes and full silkie features like its dad, nothing like its mum except for the size, i will post picture tomorrow next to my other weekolds hes like 1/3 the size 😆😆 so for this chick to be so " silkie " does this not make them worth breeding in your opinion?
Well, grey is a specific color which is different than blue.. I didn't see the whole bird in the photo but what I did see looked like blue with a lot of white leakage in the hackle/chest for starters.

You could end up with paint IF that white was dominant white (not all Silkies are) and you crossed it to a blue (blue paint is not truly desirable) or a black bird.. paint is one copy of dominant white over black.. according to my understanding when I was working with paint.. which was recently accepted into the SOP! Chick that hatch from dominant white X black should be 100% paint with the spots in tact at hatch. Chicks hatched from paint x black give.. a percentage.. I THINK 25% white, 25% paint, and 50% black.. but my percentages might be mixed up.

If Silkie type feathers is all you care about.. you can breed ANYTHING you desire..

My suggestion was not to breed the straight comb.. Silkie SOP call for walnut comb..

Now you can breed the straight comb.. I don't have comb dominance fully worked out.. I know rose is dominant to straight.. seems like pea is too.. and walnut is modified pea.. I THINK.. So chances are the straight comb MIGHT get hidden in offspring.. possibly popping up in the future and I don;t know if there are other modifiers like say to egg color that MIGHT come along with it.

But as long as both parents are "silkied" the offspring will also be "silkied".. Breeding to the standard is a personal choice.. some do, and it's challenging. Others don't and that's okay.. we all have different goals.. so it depends on YOUR goals whether something is worth breeding or not!

Some folks on here are working on breeding a "giant Silkie" using Brahma type I think.. Cross a silkie over hard feather first generation is hard feathered. Crossed to each other or back to Silkie.. second generation will be a % silkied (barbless feathers is a genetic mutation). Bred back again to get 100% silkied in the final generation.. or SOMETHING to that effect.. please verify details for more accurate information and use this as a general idea that gets the ball rolling ONLY. I know just enough to confuse us all real good! :p

It doesn't sound cruel at all that animals are kept for eating and breeding. Keeping more than you can comfortably accommodate just so something can go on "living".. is a sad misfortune for the animals! Understanding that our resources are limited, that's a raw fact of life. Being able to accept it doesn't have to mean we like it but at least we can choose to live within our means. And knowing something dies for us to live.. it's a humbling experience that I'm thankful to understand! :highfive:

I haven't yet worked out if you're in the US, or of I did I can't remember.. But you keep calling them mini.. In the US, they are all considered bantam despite the size disparity seen. In the UK, the large ones are standard and the smaller ones are bantam. I prefer the small size with regards to pets.. and when cockerels are too small for harvesting.. get composted or fed to feral barn cat, used as dog food.. whatever is deemed appropriate, carried out quickly and humanely as possibly of course. The larger ones dress quite well for the table! :drool

Regarding mum and the beak.. we're all doing our best to figure stuff out. Easy, and encouraging on her. :thumbsup

ETA: I agree that's a bright full comb if it were a young bird... but at 7+ months.. ehh.. big combed pullet unless there's reason to think other wise.. like long pointy saddles and hackles.

ETAA: no, nothing on Siamese Silkies.. and don't think I buy it.. but open to reviewing info.

Well, grey is a specific color which is different than blue.. I didn't see the whole bird in the photo but what I did see looked like blue with a lot of white leakage in the hackle/chest for starters.

You could end up with paint IF that white was dominant white (not all Silkies are) and you crossed it to a blue (blue paint is not truly desirable) or a black bird.. paint is one copy of dominant white over black.. according to my understanding when I was working with paint.. which was recently accepted into the SOP! Chick that hatch from dominant white X black should be 100% paint with the spots in tact at hatch. Chicks hatched from paint x black give.. a percentage.. I THINK 25% white, 25% paint, and 50% black.. but my percentages might be mixed up.

If Silkie type feathers is all you care about.. you can breed ANYTHING you desire..

My suggestion was not to breed the straight comb.. Silkie SOP call for walnut comb..

Now you can breed the straight comb.. I don't have comb dominance fully worked out.. I know rose is dominant to straight.. seems like pea is too.. and walnut is modified pea.. I THINK.. So chances are the straight comb MIGHT get hidden in offspring.. possibly popping up in the future and I don;t know if there are other modifiers like say to egg color that MIGHT come along with it.

But as long as both parents are "silkied" the offspring will also be "silkied".. Breeding to the standard is a personal choice.. some do, and it's challenging. Others don't and that's okay.. we all have different goals.. so it depends on YOUR goals whether something is worth breeding or not!

Some folks on here are working on breeding a "giant Silkie" using Brahma type I think.. Cross a silkie over hard feather first generation is hard feathered. Crossed to each other or back to Silkie.. second generation will be a % silkied (barbless feathers is a genetic mutation). Bred back again to get 100% silkied in the final generation.. or SOMETHING to that effect.. please verify details for more accurate information and use this as a general idea that gets the ball rolling ONLY. I know just enough to confuse us all real good! :p

It doesn't sound cruel at all that animals are kept for eating and breeding. Keeping more than you can comfortably accommodate just so something can go on "living".. is a sad misfortune for the animals! Understanding that our resources are limited, that's a raw fact of life. Being able to accept it doesn't have to mean we like it but at least we can choose to live within our means. And knowing something dies for us to live.. it's a humbling experience that I'm thankful to understand! :highfive:

I haven't yet worked out if you're in the US, or of I did I can't remember.. But you keep calling them mini.. In the US, they are all considered bantam despite the size disparity seen. In the UK, the large ones are standard and the smaller ones are bantam. I prefer the small size with regards to pets.. and when cockerels are too small for harvesting.. get composted or fed to feral barn cat, used as dog food.. whatever is deemed appropriate, carried out quickly and humanely as possibly of course. The larger ones dress quite well for the table! :drool

Regarding mum and the beak.. we're all doing our best to figure stuff out. Easy, and encouraging on her. :thumbsup

ETA: I agree that's a bright full comb if it were a young bird... but at 7+ months.. ehh.. big combed pullet unless there's reason to think other wise.. like long pointy saddles and hackles.

ETAA: no, nothing on Siamese Silkies.. and don't think I buy it.. but open to reviewing info.
Im in the united kingdom
Miniature in my mind is tinier than the usual and these silkies are definately tinier than the usual silkies i see here in the UK probably why im using different terminology than the US, i thought all silkies were called bantams because their smaller than regular chickens but i have been wrong with everything else ive known about my silkies so far 😆😆😆🔫🔫 ill post picture of the roo now and you can tell me his colour because i just dont know anything anymore ha ha ha .. i just matched him to a similar silkie i found on google ... same with this mini puff ball chick i hatched got my info off google that if its neon yellow with a dark spot or two then its paint. Looks like google isnt my best friend right now giving me wrong info left right and centre 😭😭😭
My roo was pictured 2 months ago hes same colour now but just more of a man than he was before lol😊😊🥰

Attachments

• 20200808_181117.jpg
    20200808_181117.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom