Water and feet? (ducks with socks Pics!)

This is my first experience time with poultry so i dont know about the spray on bandaids.

Im only gonna leave them on a few days. Just aid the healing quickly i hope. We shall see. They are pretty pathetic though huh?

I have had a few older ducks get sores on their feet. Even if they are running around in the dirt, etc. they heal up pretty quickly. Duck bodies have high temperatures and are less likely to get infections, etc. As long as their feet are clean, and their brooder is reasonably clean, I wouldn't worry too much.

ETA: I would personally be more worried about them being left unattended with slippery things on their feet. Ducklings can get spradle leg fairly easily, I had one that got it from tripping over uneven ground.
sad.png

Last edited:
Well the mallard babies just couldnt get their feet under them so i took them off. Their sores were less severe anyways. The pekins are walking around great now...one already got one off...they are not very tight. I think if they get them off...they are off. Otherwise Ill prob take them off in a day or two depending on how gross they get. Thanks everyone for your help. Ill update to see if the brewer's yeast does the trick.

O M G!!!! That is the sweetest thing I have EVER seen! That last pic is to die for. "What the heck is on my feet?"
clap.gif

We have only ever had on little duckling that had a dislocated knee and the feed store was just going to toss him in the trash can!!
Well I couldnt stand for that so we scooped him up and took him home. His joint finally went into place after working with him a few days and he attached to my then 3yr old DD. When we gave him away she cried for about a week. Now she says "no ducks". But I catch her looking at the runners once in a while. BTW he was a peking also.

Well i came back after the school volley ball game and most of the socks were soaking wet...not really surprised about that. But i didnt think it was doing much good on them just being wet...I hate it when my socks are wet so i cant figure they appreciated it much. So I just cut them all off. It was def a good thought though. If nothing else it gave the first dose of neosporin a good chance to set in. Anyways, Ill let you all know if the brewers yest is what the problem was. Thanks for the help.

Those are great pics with the socks on the ducklings. I am having the same trouble with my older runners. They are about 12 or 13 weeks old. They have straw for bedding. I wonder if it is a diet think instead of the straw. What kind of vets tape do you use.. .can you get it at the druck store.

Tia

i'm using a spray on bandaid on my victor duck now... he's got really minor sores that don't need cushioning. YOu can use one as long as it doesn't have lidocaine in it.

The tape i use is the "hurt free" kind that sticks to itself rather than the skin. The vet also uses a similar bandage called "vet wrap". You can buy the hurt free kind from walmart or target... Target has some 3 inch hurt free wraps that i cut in half the long ways... and it comes it purple, one of ming mei's favorite colors. lol.

Last edited:
I've not used the vet wrap on duck feet, but have on a duck's wing trying to fix angel wing. LOL Lasted for less than 5 minutes. Same with medical tape. This tricky duck quickly figured out how to get the tape off in less than 60secs.

OMG, those ducklings are too cute with those socks! It is interesting that your Pekins had more of a problem then the Mallards. What are you feeding them? I had a few issues this summer with what I would consider relatively minor foot issues (compared to something like a bad case of bumblefoot). Some cracking (actually quite a bit more than some) on the bottoms of the feet is completely normal. Some of the experts, like Holderread's, definitely say that it absolutely can be a result of a Niacin/B deficiency.

This is the first year that I have raised birds start to finish on Flock Raiser and it is the first year that I have felt like we had more cracking then what is within the realm of normal. Interestingly though, it was predominately in the Welsh Harlequins. Our smaller birds that we raised on FR, like a bunch of Mallards we raised and some Runners, none of them had it (excessively). When I added a vitamin supplement to the water, the cracking literally immediately began to improve. It makes me think that maybe the Niacin level in Flock Raiser is adequate, but not optimal (and obviously that could apply to other feeds as well). It would be entirely possible for it to be fine for some breeds and inadequate for others.

Anyway, I am not sure what you are feeding. I am just thinking out loud about what may be the source of the problem. I think getting them on the yeast is a great idea. After all the feeds I have tried over the years, my ducks have never looked better than when they were on Purina duck chow. It is a shame that it is so hard to get and that so many feed lines have gone to these triple duty type feeds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom