Water/Food in Coop

BrindleFinch

Songster
Mar 31, 2018
Upstate, NY
Hello BYC! I have a question about transitioning outside.

My chicks are all 3 weeks to likely a month and a half. There are three 3 week olds and while they are smaller they are keeping up with the older chicks!

This is their second day outside full time. For now, their coop is heated overnight - daytime temps are 70s-80s.

Their coop is closed at night and open in the day, but I've run into a bit of a dilemma.

The entire part of what they have right now is their coop - they will have a separate space for when they grow bigger, so I thought it would be okay to let them into the run during the day.

They all know how to get up and down the ramp - I have watched them all go up and down. Yet, they don't want to go outside :barnie

I'm at an impasse with these guys. I don't want to give them food and water in the coop. It makes a mess, and it's not a habit I want them to get into. I provided it on night one because it was what they were used to.

I don't want to put it back inside; I want them to come out to eat or drink. I know they CAN get out and go back at will. Do I just tough love it out? Make them go out for food and water regardless?

Also, I'm a not unsure of closing them off from food and water when its nighttime if there's no food or water inside the coop. I've read <12 hours is okay to go without access for water, and they will only be cooped up for ~9 hours overnight, but they are growing critters, and I worry about a lack of nutrition.

Also, do I need to be concerned if they're staying in the coop during the day? Should I just chase them down the ramp and shut them out of it to teach them daytime is outside time, or should I just wait and see?

It's a big new scary world so I can understand them wanting to stay in what seems like safety/warmer in the coop. I just don't want to encourage bad habits, so I'm hoping for some advice on what behaviors to allow and discourage.

Thanks~ :D

Im wondering the same! I left mine in coop with door closed last night and food and water in the run as well. Temp dropped last night to 60 degrees and that scared me also. First thing thos morning I peed in nesting box (all 8 were calm and on roost chirping) opened them up, showed them water and food and they all ran down the ramp! lol They were all fine it seemed even my 3 younger ones. which 2 are little guys.. One a bantam and the other a cornish rock hen :fl:jumpy

I provide feed and water in the coop. 20180402_093120.jpg . I also provide water under the raised coop 20180408_060418.jpg .and in the open run during hot weather. I will be feeding the song birds if I put feed in the run. NOT. GC

Back
Top Bottom