WATER for ducks

imzadi

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 19, 2012
Hi all

I have three campbells...and live in Maine. Our location is in an area were the wind whips...and the snow really drifts. I know that ducks are cold hardy but, my concern is the water. I also have 27 chickens.

I know that we need to have thawed drinking water (we will have two heated waterers) but, ducks also love their bathing water. Not sure that I can afford to purchase heaters for a heated pool in the winter and am wondering what the needs are for bathing pools.

Thanks for the info

No, they can bathe in the snow.. i do have a heater for a trough BUT that is just by luck, it was the horses and we upgraded some stuff for them. Frankly, my birds would sneak into it anyways lol

Eventually most water freezes, they will sneak into open water though, again that trough was a fav place of my girls. Anyways, i did not provide any last year, other than opening up their large livestock bowls which the odd duck would squish into. I worry about icing, and it did happen to a few females but they have a decent building for overnight so they were okay but it's something you have to watch for.

See last winter! crazy ducky!

Silly girls! I have a small, kitty litter tub and I've seen TWO of my girls squish in there...with the other one trying pretty hard!

As for overnight, my three duckies like to sleep in the COOP WITH THE CHICKENS! So, they will probably be plenty warm at night. Also have a heated chicken waterer and will be getting another one so drinking won't be an issue. Was just concerned if they would need a bathing pool...

Ok...so, they will "bathe in the snow". What if it's cold...but no snow to bathe in? That does happen now

Thanks for the info :)

We live in ME too. This is what we use in our pool the entire winter. It keeps it thawed all winter, unless it is extremely cold, then part of the pool ice over, but it is easily removed. We have used these for the last 11 years of duck ownership and had no issues at all. We do use an extension cord to run it, but it is one that is designed for outdoor use and we put the connection under a bucket to keep it dry.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1F0JHVKX30252QFVMKEX

Hmmm, bet that did not work again. Anyway, it is a bird bath heater that I found on Amazon, it kind of looks like a lollipop. They are $39.43 with free shipping.

cool...I've seen these and wondered how they work...or if they are safe for birds. Would the birdie get burned if they touched the metal heater? it can't be that hot I wouldn't imagine.

I'll look into this.

Thanks.

No the birds don't get burned by touching them. They are very safe. We use them in the regular birdbath for the wild birds too.

The one i have is in a rubbermaid livestock trough... it's not hot at all, it just raises the temperature enough to open the water..

This is the type i have...

Silly girls! I have a small, kitty litter tub and I've seen TWO of my girls squish in there...with the other one trying pretty hard!

As for overnight, my three duckies like to sleep in the COOP WITH THE CHICKENS! So, they will probably be plenty warm at night. Also have a heated chicken waterer and will be getting another one so drinking won't be an issue. Was just concerned if they would need a bathing pool...

Ok...so, they will "bathe in the snow". What if it's cold...but no snow to bathe in? That does happen now

Thanks for the info :)
I haven't found any issues, i worried too the first winter but don't anymore, they seem to get on just fine. Usually you'll get a break in the temp and they'll bathe in the buckets, the main thing is ensuring the nares can be cleaned out.

Back
Top Bottom