Water for my chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kdcolorado, Jun 17, 2011.

1. kdcolorado

kdcolorado Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    My husband and I made a waterer from a 5 gallon bucket and purchased a 21 inch bottom, the kind you put under plants.
    We got instructions that said to put two 1/4 inch holes approximately one ince from the bottom of bucket. Place in the plant holder and wala!
    Well the water doesnt stop running out. This was suppose to work lol Anyone have any suggestions.

2. kansasgirlinutah

kansasgirlinutah Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Do you have a secure lid on the bucket?

3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

The holes were supposed to be 2" from the rim

Either put a air tight lid on the bucket or start with a bucket, drill holes thru the rim about 2" down, flip the bucket over with the plant holder over the opening. You need the vacuum in the bucket to prevent overflow

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Yeah - you will have to have a lid that seals really well - one that you literally have to pry off.

5. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    Lid must have a rubber O-ring for it to air lock.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    As Bryan says, unless you have a seriously airtight-sealing bucket (which are hard to find, and never STAY airtight-sealing for that long when they are used repeatedly...) you have constructed it upside-down. The bucket is meant to be upside-down in the pan, so the holes go near the *rim* of the bucket.

Personally I find that style very awkward to use (unpleasant to flip after filling bucket, without losing the pan and/or water) and VERY prone to suddenly drenching the coop when a chicken bumps into one the wrong way when it's only half- or one-third full. Of course if the waterer is outdoors on good drainage, the deluge isn't such a problem but it still is a waste of water and means you gotta refill it more often than you should.

Pat

7. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Personally I find that style very awkward to use

Yeah, me too. Lots of drawbacks. I would recommend PVC pipe and nipples 100%. Lots of good info on this forum!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by