Water for my chickens

kdcolorado

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 11, 2011
My husband and I made a waterer from a 5 gallon bucket and purchased a 21 inch bottom, the kind you put under plants.
We got instructions that said to put two 1/4 inch holes approximately one ince from the bottom of bucket. Place in the plant holder and wala!
Well the water doesnt stop running out. This was suppose to work lol Anyone have any suggestions.

The holes were supposed to be 2" from the rim

Either put a air tight lid on the bucket or start with a bucket, drill holes thru the rim about 2" down, flip the bucket over with the plant holder over the opening. You need the vacuum in the bucket to prevent overflow

Last edited:
As Bryan says, unless you have a seriously airtight-sealing bucket (which are hard to find, and never STAY airtight-sealing for that long when they are used repeatedly...) you have constructed it upside-down. The bucket is meant to be upside-down in the pan, so the holes go near the *rim* of the bucket.

Personally I find that style very awkward to use (unpleasant to flip after filling bucket, without losing the pan and/or water) and VERY prone to suddenly drenching the coop when a chicken bumps into one the wrong way when it's only half- or one-third full. Of course if the waterer is outdoors on good drainage, the deluge isn't such a problem but it still is a waste of water and means you gotta refill it more often than you should.

Pat

Back
Top Bottom