Water Glassing: Egg Preservation Experiment!

Pics
That's to dehydrate, I mean to rehydrate the eggs, to use them again

Eta I quoted post #214, I didn't read anything on rehydrating the eggs
I've never rehydrate eggs before, but from what I have read online it is generally 2 parts water to 1 part powdered egg. Many people just say to add until you get the consistency you like. Also be sure to let them soak for several minutes to ensure all the egg has absorbed water. You don't want powder in your scramble.

I've never rehydrate eggs before, but from what I have read online it is generally 2 parts water to 1 part powdered egg. Many people just say to add until you get the consistency you like. Also be sure to let them soak for several minutes to ensure all the egg has absorbed water. You don't want powder in your scramble.
Thank you. We've frozen eggs before but never dehydrated them before. With our 20 hens we may have to start come spring lol

I have dehydrated over the wood stove in cookie sheets lined with parchment paper (not my favorite only because the top of the wood stove is somewhat curved and that gets tricky. LOL

But otherwise I use silicone trays with edges so the liquid stays in in Nesco round dehydrators (I found two used) set at 115F. Half a dozen whisked eggs per round tray works for me.

Most people say things take 8-12 hours to dehydrate but honestly, I find it take about a day because we tend to be more humid.

Worth it though. I have 15 hens (two older though and 13 in their first lay) now and this spring we expect to see at least 5 dozen eggs a week or more (for two older people) which means I can dehydrate 4 dozen a week and get the pantry stocked up in case we lose the flock or for emergencies.

We had 11 hens and a rooster at the beginning of last summer and lost the rooster and 4 out of 5 spring hatched pullets by the end of summer. I got 10 more chicks who are 20 weeks now. You never know when something is going to happen to the flock so we're ramping up and getting those eggs planned.

My husband has chronic fatigue and the fresh eggs seem to be helping him so much. So we want a good bunch put by. We haven't had fresh eggs all winter and have had to buy.
After dehydrating, do they become a powder, or like flakes or what? Do you crumble them up and store them in glass jars on a shelf, or Ziploc bags in the freezer? To rehydrate, about how much powder to water do you use to equal one egg, as in for baking? Do they work the same as a fresh egg in cakes and sweet breads? How's the taste and texture if you make scrambled eggs out of them?

Back
Top Bottom