Water in the chicken yard. Should I let them out?

briana1975

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Carleton Mi.
We got about 1" of rain in about 4-5 hours. My chicken yard is half flooded! I am still learning here but I do know chickens do not like to get wet. They are 6weeks old and have been going out for 1/2 a day for a week now. Mornings are still cold. There is some area not under water, but will they know enough to stay on it? Or should I just keep them in till it all dries out?

Last edited:
Briana....
just open the pop door and they'll venture out where they feel comfortable.

it's okay for them to get into a little water and they will even stand out in a drizzle.

just like anything else, keep an eye out and if you don't feel comfortable with what they are doing, then you can always shoo them back in.

I let mine out this morning. It was wet here too, from a few showers. A few minutes later we got slammed with a thunderstorm and downpours. I haven't gone out to check, but I am hoping all the chickens, young and old, ran back in their coops for shelter.

Quote:
you're welcome. it's a trial and error thing with poultry.

you've raised to smart and caring young boys. you can handle poultry with ease.
thumbsup.gif

Oh! My Goodness! Just got the kids down for naps and went to let the chickens into their yard. It was a mad dash to get out! Pushing, squawking, turkeys stepping on the chickens. It was funny. They are jumping and flying over the areas full of water. I will not let them out again due to water or rain. They are smarter than they let on.

Last edited:
We have a low area along our southide. My chickens wade in the water and prefer drinking that to the city water I put in their waterers.

Oh, just remove their socks so they don't get them wet.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom